"Black Pearls" WIP

Could use some feedback on a work in progress scenario which you can download here.

I've been exploring ways to make scenarios that are less "open tank country" and require more maneuver (and offer more cover for light units) without making something that's a pain in the butt to navigate.

This one doesn't have structures or roads yet but the basic idea is in place. Most of the water is shallow and fairly easy to traverse but the corresponding speed penalty for heavier units will hurt. Some of the water is too deep (and steep) to traverse. For once, there is actually interesting bathymetry, too, instead of flat empty space under the waves.

bp1.jpg

bp2.jpg

bp3.jpg

bp4.jpg

Looks cool, as in arctic Canada in the summertime cool--however, I tried to start the scenario twice and both times the game crashed. I sent 2 error reports...but is it possible I did something stupid? I followed the stickied instructions for uploading scenarios in this forum. I have now updated to the latest version of Drop Team.

Like it a lot Clay, Love the use of colour. It reminds me of the Moors. I actually like the lack of trees it gives it a bleak feel which is amplified by the cold looking background. I especially like the areas of shallow water with the grass growing through. If you have a spare colour on your mask you could maybe edge some of those areas with tall reeds . If any vegetation went onto that map maybe some low scrubby gorse type bushes. Maybe for ambient noise the sound of a slow ocean rolling and some alien "seagull" sounds.

I approached the Objective Island from the SE and it has a sort of uncanny shape. Now I don't know if you guys are old enough to remember them but there were some books put out in the late 70's / early 80's Under ther name of something like the Terran Trade Authority handbooks. They were books of SF art involving spaceships and some text, done like a contemporary aircraft book. One in particular I loved was Spaceships 2100 - 2300. The back section of it was called unidentified objects and had all these pictures of wierd wrecks and odd alien ships. Very much like the derelict in Alien. I imediately thought of those when I saw that Isle and thought some uncanny alien articaft would just seal the bleak, creepy feel.

I'm in love. I just played an objective game as the attacker. Clear sight lines (IE no trees), hills for cover, good spots for hull down... I like it. I'm not sure how much I will like it as the defender, but it does have promise.

Going in to try a CTF game now.

[ August 05, 2006, 08:59 AM: Message edited by: Jalinth ]

Well after doing a round of CTF, I STILL like the map. I had plenty of nice Long Range 120mm duels, and I also was able to use cover (Espec. the rivers) to get close enough to enemy tanks to smack them with AT grenades.

Finding good crossing points on the river for flag runners will take some practice though. Still I was able to get across without to much trouble.

While I have yet to play VS any humans, this is shaping up to be my favorite map so far.

We have not received any logs with this scenario in them. This might mean that when you're hitting the "Send" button on the error report the report is not mkaing through to our server (it tries to FTP the report to our server, so if you have any firewall protection against port 21 that would stop it).

So, yes, go ahead and crash it again and send the DropTeam.log.