Can not join game? 11/12 players on server

Kurtz

I tried to join a game today where the server (riptest) said "11/12 players". I refreshed still 11/12, refreshed again: 10/12, and I could join.

Is there an unvisible player? ;)

From a user perspective it's frustrating not being able to join when I think there is a slot available.

I notice this all the time and it is REALLY anyoing. I think (if it's not a bug and just caused by someone already joining) a very simple soltuion would be to consider someone already in the game as soon as he starts the loading process. Then when someone else hits refresh, the server would see 12 players (while only 11 are in game) and return 12 players to the person.

I used to play tactical ops (the FPS mod for UT) on an old computer and it would take about 30 sec or so to load a map. Often I would join a server with 15/16 players and once I was done loading I would get the message "Rejected by server" and now see 16/16. I really would like to see that avoided in this game, considering the long loading times with the cashing and all (and my measly 1 gig of RAM).