Uniform Mods

Mord

Did a search on this and only came up with a partial answer (aimed mostly at vehicles and armor) so some clarification would be highly appreciated...

In terms of the CMx2 engine will we be able to have soldiers in the same unit/squad/company wearing different unifom variations? For instance in terms of a WWII CMX2 game could a couple German's be wearing gray unis with a gray helmet while some others are wearing a mix and match of maybe camo pants and a gray jacket, or gray pants and camo jacket so on and so forth...or will every squad of say Waffen SS look the exact same like in the CMx1 games?

Mord.

"We are planning on allowing multiple vehicle textures within the same game for the same vehicle"

"This means soldiers have unique left and right arm textures, tank turrets can have unique left and right sides, and 5 different small arms won't use the same top texture. Stuff like that."

"Since the "all in one" system is far more efficient, and VRAM more available, we are sharing a lot LESS stuff than we did in CMx1"

Nearest quotes I can find in the sticky synopsis thread. VRAM quote indicates it's a distinct possibility for variation with uniforms.

[ January 06, 2006, 01:44 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

Not so sure about a serious answer to this, but I'd wager the ferocious und evil Wienertruppen vill be shportink black und tan cammo.

tongue.gif

LMAO ^5! You've got a good memory! That thread just turned a year old about two weeks ago I think.

Originally posted by Wicky:

VRAM quote indicates it's a distinct possibility for variation with uniforms.

Man this would be so cool if it could be done. No more clones. It's a small thing but visually I think it would ROCK!

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Moraine Sedai:

Not so sure about a serious answer to this, but I'd wager the ferocious und evil Wienertruppen vill be shportink black und tan cammo.

tongue.gif

LMAO ^5! You've got a good memory! That thread just turned a year old about two weeks ago I think.</font>

Yeah, no clones. Not exactly sure how far we can push it, but the different MOS (specialities) can have different uniforms from each other. That means a Grenadier has at least some different textures from an Automatic Rifleman. We'll probably share legs and perhaps arms for CM:SF, but in theory we don't need to. We just have to watch the overall VRAM usage.

This means that all Stryker Rifle Squads will look the same, but the soldiers within each can look different from each other. Face/hand textures will be different regardless of the unit they are used for. That means if we have 9 different face/hand textures a rifle Squad of 9 men could in theory have a unique face/hand texture set for each.

Steve

What about vehicles..will we be able to have let's say 2-3 dif textures for the Stryker in the same game? Il-2 for instance allows multiple skins, numbers, per same airplane with no limitations as far as i know.

Would it be possible to have in your "BMP/T55" dir 20 T-55 mods so the game could randomly pick up one each time? This would only need disk space, and will not make swapping and switching skins as tedious as it is now.

The same can be apllied to buildings. If you have a simple "commercial 1story 3dmodel building" and allow multiple random skins for it, the possibilities will be theoriticaly endless.