CMFS my first impressions

Hello,

now finally came to purchase my copy of Paradox version and updated to 1.04 at once. So this is my entry point and respectively I don´t really know much about any the issues that were encountered since the release version and that were "fixed" since.

Need to say I´m not interested in the modern area and near east setting at all, but I mainly want to support further BFC efforts, that possibly lead to something that surely the majority of CM enthusiasts are dreaming of, a CMx2 with WW2 setting again! smile.gif

Generally I like what I see in CMSF (compared to CM1 series) and one sees the great potential particularly for the GFX, although you waste away lots of it, due to the nature of the pale and dull looking desert landscapes! :( Just dreaming how european or asian like landscapes might look with the GFX engine!8) Having played lots of COD and RO games the past months, I have quite a good imagination, what it could be like in CMx2 WW2! smile.gif

Well, I haven´t tried CMSF playing much the past few days and I´m still learning what a beginner is to learn in this game. Few things I noticed in the game is the lack of tooltips that actually should be a standard in nowadays games, particularly when new to the game. That begins in the scenario selection screen where the small icons are not that self explaining as you might think, even after doing the game manual checkup. That continues into the game, where the interface bottom bar would also improve considerably from tooltips functionality.

I do like much that a scenario designer can work out the briefing screens to great detail, include custom maps ect. Did always dream of it for CM1. smile.gif

Have a bit of difficulty with plotting infantry moves through dense urban terrain. Seem to always hunt the guys into enemy fire, when I think I know how the guys would enter any buildings. Surely my lack of experience with the game so far. Maybe someone can enlighten me; does the game considers infantry movements through cast shadows (along walls, houses, ect) an advantage when it comes to enemy spotting chances? Mean to say, particularly when moving in urban environment (and anywhere else), making use of shadows was and is standard practice for more stealthy movement! Is that modelled in CMSF? I just had tried moving a US infantry squad (or team if you prefer) this way along a wall in the cast shadow, but was surprised, most of the 3D men were moving into the open, apparently avoiding some of the games "doodads" (telephone poles, trash piles, ect) that were placed along the wall. So is that just a "collision checking" problem, or is the game yet too abstractly modelling infantry movements?

Now back for some more playing. Have the game installed on my low end 1600+ Athlon XP with Nvidia FX5200 graphics card and 768 MB Ram. Frame rates are ok so far, although not smooth.

Hi Harry: Really glad you got on board. www.CMMODS.com Has the user maps and scen. For QB's you will NEED to dl the QBG Vol 1 thru 3 It will give you plenty of QB maps for ALL configurations...For a little greenery and a trip down memory lane...DL Chance Encounter. When you're ready to PBEM I'd be pleased to die for you!

Has anyone tested spotting during a moonless night, as opposed to a moonlit night? The most recent (real world) full moon seemed so bright I could almost read a newspaper from the illunination. In the game the moonlight actually casts a shadow off structures. Some games it seems Red can't see nothin' at night, sometime's they can see for hundreds of meters. Maybe it's moonglow smile.gif

Originally posted by RockinHarry:

Have a bit of difficulty with plotting infantry moves through dense urban terrain.

I use 'Assault' whereever I can, even over short distances. It helps your guys overcome the current squad spotting problems of 1.04 and they are very capable of engaging and destroying everything they come across in this mode!

Best regards,

Thomm

Hi RockinHarry, welcome to the boards. Have you tried the training campaign yet? It's not perfect but it will introduce a newbie to the basics of CMSF. It's a bit boring until you reach he last mission which gets very exciting very quickly. The less you know the better.

Like you, I'm REALLY looking forward to the arrival of the WW2 module sometime later next year. The maps are going to be spectacular! As it happens, a desert map doesn't have to look pale and dull. I felt that way when I started too but after designing a cuple, I've grown to really like them. The current ground texture for grass is a bit washed out looking for Europe but that wll be different when WW2 comes out.

Odd when I played the nightstalkers mission it seemed the enemy had almost 0 visibility unless I was firing. My troops on the other hand seemed to hardly notice it was night.

I am not sure if this was the AI or simply the fact I couldn't be seen. Many time I would have guys literally walk up and shoot the syrians at point blank range. The average ranges were probably less than 50 meters for combat.

Originally posted by MarkEzra:

Hi Harry: Really glad you got on board. www.CMMODS.com Has the user maps and scen. For QB's you will NEED to dl the QBG Vol 1 thru 3 It will give you plenty of QB maps for ALL configurations...For a little greenery and a trip down memory lane...DL Chance Encounter. When you're ready to PBEM I'd be pleased to die for you!

Thanks the welcome! smile.gif As said I´m not really interested much in modern warfare, particularly in any the desert theathres (counts the same for CMAK where I solely play italy/NWE settings), but as any of us Combat Mission enthusiasts, hate to have the family incomplete and at least try it out and see! smile.gif

Found the CMSF section at CMMODS already and did some first download of scenarios, including "Chance Encounter" (hm..didn´t I see that name anytime before? LOL) and two scens of GeorgeMC, whose designs I always appreciate much! smile.gif Hope I´ll find the time soon, between my running CMBB and CMAK sessions!

Hm...I don´t yet feel quite ready for PBEM and I hate to step in without beeing able to give a good show! LOL Think 2008 will give me first opportunities! smile.gif

Can´t BFC and 1C join to combine the best of Theatre of War and CMSF into a single game? I´d die for that! smile.gif

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RockinHarry:

Have a bit of difficulty with plotting infantry moves through dense urban terrain.

I use 'Assault' whereever I can, even over short distances. It helps your guys overcome the current squad spotting problems of 1.04 and they are very capable of engaging and destroying everything they come across in this mode!

Best regards,

Thomm </font>

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

Hi RockinHarry, welcome to the boards. Have you tried the training campaign yet? It's not perfect but it will introduce a newbie to the basics of CMSF. It's a bit boring until you reach he last mission which gets very exciting very quickly. The less you know the better.

Like you, I'm REALLY looking forward to the arrival of the WW2 module sometime later next year. The maps are going to be spectacular! As it happens, a desert map doesn't have to look pale and dull. I felt that way when I started too but after designing a cuple, I've grown to really like them. The current ground texture for grass is a bit washed out looking for Europe but that wll be different when WW2 comes out.

No sorry, did not try any the campaigns yet. Did load up 2-3 scenarios and hit the QB button twice, as well as opened the editor (my favourite place in any wargame normally :D )

Very much looking forward to WW2 setting, as said! smile.gif If not BFC gets it working, who else?! :cool:

Ah, I think the training campaign is called Boot Camp. I'm away from my home computer and can't check it just now. It consists of four simple training missions designed to introduce us to some of the important features of the game; mission 1, move a Stryker platoon through a number of phase lines, deploy and attack a Syrian trench line,

mission 2 how to use javelins,

mission 3 how to call in artillery/air support, and the last, attack a small village. The last is good fun.

I missed this one when I started because I thought the campaigns were for the seasoned players only.

The scenario editor in this game is a beauty. With a (serious) commitment of time, you can create some stunning maps. It's a whole other game. Enjoy