Stryker mobility

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

Flamingknives,

“Kip, how many vehicles designed for carrying infantry in any full-scale war have been remotely capable of stopping direct-fire anti-tank weapons?”

That is my point… there have not been any, JonS point accepted, because until the ‘90s no one was wealthy enough in real terms to afford them. It is all down to money…real wealth. Nations are now wealthy enough to afford them. What you see in NATO armies is legacy infantry vehicles designed in the late ‘70s or medium wheeled vehicles designed in the late’90s for war against Third World armies.

The reason you do not see the US and UK with heavy infantry vehicles is exactly the same reason their tanks do not have guns in 18 million joules class but still, thirty years later… in the 10 million joules class.

Note the Israelis, the Germans, the Russians and the Chinese have never kidded themselves that the future is medium weight. But that the heavy MBT is here to stay but with the electronics and defensive systems of a Stryker/FCS bolted on.

The US is also coming round to that view.

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Originally posted by Splinty:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by lrrprecon:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Splinty:

Irrepcon, I spent 10 years in Mech Infantry, 3 in 113s and 7 in Brads. I am in Baghdad right now as an MP(15 days left!) and I work with Strykers quite often. The Stryker guys I've talked to think very highly of it and like me think the 113 is a piece of crap. This my 3rd tour in Iraq and my 18th year in the Army, so at least in my case I know that of which I speak.

Well thats great, thanks for your opinion. You guys stop patrols considering your countdown? We did patrols and right seat rides up to our 5th day before we packed up to head home. Well i stayed to load up the HET's and then a month in kuwait at Camp Arifjan to load the VEH's on the boat. What unit you with? </font>

Originally posted by flamingknives:

Ah yes, the Sherman Kangaroos, designed from the ground up as an infantry vehicle, based on the invincible Sherman heavy tank. tongue.gif

Well, if you want to change the goalposts ;)

Re-read your post. The Kangaroo fits all your criteria ;)

And I wouldn't want to test it's mettle against anything heavier than a PaK38 without being a goodly distance away and behind lots of sandbags.

Neither would I, but your original criteria was simply that it be

remotely capable of stopping direct-fire anti-tank weapons
Given what the base-vehicle was intended to do, I think "remotely capable of stopping direct-fire anti-tank weapons" is the least you could say about the Kangaroo armour scheme ;)

Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

Camp Liberty at BIAP has a Popeye's. POPEYE's !!!! Seriously. Fried Chicken, sweet tea, in a "warzone". It's ridiculous.

And a Cinnabon! and Burger King. Granted the lettuce was nasty wet, but they sure weren't bad on a long patrol. We would go to BIAP and buy like 30 Whoppers at a time! It was crazy!

Holy cow! So much wrongness!

2) there is no such thing as an AFV called the Gavin except in Mike Sparks' fevered imagination.

5) Rubber tracks are not no-maintenance or low vibration. The BvS-10 has significant vibration issues.

9) Boxer and AMV are not really comparable to the Stryker, beyond having 8 wheels. Both have significantly more armour - Boxer weighs more than a Warrior!

2. Hah! You know Sparky! Poor you brother. Actually not a bad guy but has his own special world. - some of te guys in his "group" are actually pretty good value.

5. BvS-10 vibration? Really. I have the Royal Marines Armoured Support Group on speed dial, and this is the first I've heard.

9. Very true!! - UK Officers have been asked to leave this fact out of their briefings!!

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

Splinty,

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />We're still running our butts off. I just got back from a BIAP run about 2 hours ago

Let me guess... Cheeze-Its are now in hand in plentiful supply? :D

Steve </font>

RT North Dakota,

Hah! You know Sparky!
Unfortunately, most anybody that has been following CM:SF's development over the years knows about "Sparky". I remember two very strong impressions when I first stumbled upon his website:

1. Someone didn't pack his chute correctly, but through the wonders of medical science they almost got him functioning again.

2. That if I were a Marines I would like to find out where he lives and stop on by to give my best regards.

Anytime I see anybody link to one of his diatribes or catch wind of it in a post... I just shake my head. I'm sure the Unibomber has a few followers too.

Splinty,

Steve, would you beleive no?
You know, after the news about Apple Fig Newtons I'm getting the feeling that some people out there really want our mission in Iraq to fail! How do they expect you guys to fight if all you have are Rasberry Figgies and Foo-fooy crackers? Tomorrow I'm writing my Senators about this!

Oh, and enjoy the T-Bones!

Steve