Stryker meets big IED

akd

Originally posted by Rollstoy:

Do you think they often saw *real* violence in Vienna, a most peaceful town?

Or do you think they just had their brain f.cked up by television and the internet and video games and what not and decided all by themselves to do this cowardly act?

Rollstoy, do you think that you could read my posts and address the points that I'm actually bringing up and contending? Otherwise we're both just talking to air.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm,

I always though the deepest fear of all humans (the Peng being excepted since no-one there can REALLY be called "human"), a sub-conscious, cross-cultural, since time immememorial fear is the fear of being eaten.

Sure. Laugh. But you'll rue the day you face a hungry predator bigger than you!

Carry on.

Ken

c3k,

Fear of being eaten, i have heard convincing arguements on the subject. Many point at zombie films as examples of an underlying fear in all human beings, that of your fellow man never being completely trustworthy and of course, being eaten, which dates back to a prehistoric and even further back to our evolutionary environments in which, for hundreds of millions of years, the fear of being eaten has kept us alive (to clarify i am talking about since the begining of life itself). War is the maladaptive offspring of this behavior, taken to the extreme by cultural and political considerations, not to mention advances in the methods of killing.

I dont nessicarily agree with the idea that humans are so far removed from killing as some have posted, there are murders everyday by people not associated previously with killing.

And I dont nessesarily buy the arguement that farm boys are more willing to kill. Living in a city can be pretty effective at reducing one's opinion of the value of human life too. ;)

Originally posted by PeterLorre86:

And I dont nessesarily buy the arguement that farm boys are more willing to kill. Living in a city can be pretty effective at reducing one's opinion of the value of human life too. ;)

1930's farmboys. Get it right! But yes - absolutely. I suppose my comparison was with more of a modern middleclass suburbia type of thing.

molotov_billy -

I suppose my comparison was with more of a modern middleclass suburbia type of thing.

Ahh, modern suburbia! I think one could argue this is the most extreme case of our fear of other humans beings exhibitied through our living arrangements. The whole concept of suburbia is to have your own plot of land, your little territory, which The Other cannot encroach upon. The reason for the movement away from the city and into the suburb is the uncomfortable nature of close proximity with other humans. Instead, the suburb transforms those around you into distant entities, beings you see occasionally while getting your mail perhaps, but nothing more. Especially in the preplanned modern suburb of today, human contact is at a minimal outside ones own home. (note that most zombie films include a scene of an empty suburb, a familier scene as we are contained for the most part inside our dwellings, and not on the streets and sidewalks of our cul-de-sac) This shift away from the communal lifestyle and towards the individual, in my opinion, is the most effective means of desensitization. You no longer are conserned with the well being of others, only with how you yourself survive.

Thats not to say there are not suburbs where people talk to each other, however most of those tend to be older more organic communities. It is the prefabricated modern suburn which best exhibits the characteristics of our subconsious, the fear of the other, and more basic, our fear of being eaten.

Heh. Did this conversation really get all the way out here?

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

Rollstoy, do you think that you could read my posts and address the points that I'm actually bringing up and contending? Otherwise we're both just talking to air.

Yes, I guess we are.

Lets leave it at that for the moment!

Best regards,

Thomm