Guys running thorough walls

Hev

Ive just played a small scrap on the town map.

I noticed my units were capable of running through walls and buildings like they arnt even there! I have a screenshot just after the wall was passed and you can clearly see that the unit in question had ran through building etc

If any of the testers need this ill happily send it to them.

Originally posted by jomni:

Well people here complain about CMx2 not being like CMx1 and now that it acts like CMx1 (running through houses and walls) they still complain. ;)

I couldn't care less if it "appeared" that tanks/infantry looked like they could move through walls/buildings etc in CMx1. It was a necessary abstraction, just like the rest of the game, where the visual representation you actually saw in the game wasn't meant to be taken "literally", as in game play "reality" they were entering the building through doors etc. Regardless, CMx1 as a whole made sense and is just an awesome gameplaying experience.

But in CMSF, were are being sold the idea that most of the visual abstractions that we saw in CMx1 would be gone as they now have 1:1 graphical representation etc. We can now see each individual soldier represented and entering/exiting via actual doorways etc. Somehow this was meant to make the game better, something about making the game "more realistic" (don't ask me how unless having people buy your game just for fancy graphics entitles you to say you have a good realistic game). The huge amount of work that was needed to transform CM into such a game has come at a price of many of the things that worked well and weren't broken in CMx1. If people complain and see that the 1:1 representation they expect to see in CMSF doesn;t work too well or is just as similarly visually abstract than say what you might expect to see in CMx1, then they may wonder if that price was worth paying for in the first place. If they have no idea of CMx1, and that kind of accurately modelled graphical representation is important to them, then I think a game of higher graphical quality like CoH might be a game they would be happier with. I don't think you would see that kind of thing in that game.

[ July 31, 2007, 08:01 PM: Message edited by: Lt Bull ]

Originally posted by jomni:

Well people here complain about CMx2 not being like CMx1 and now that it acts like CMx1 (running through houses and walls) they still complain. ;)

Dude, i have such a valid point here and people have the right to complain, so your not helping by being so damn funny :D

Hey if soldiers can get run over by tanks, why shouldn't be able to walk through walls! :rolleyes:

In TOW soldiers climb over fences and will get up and move out of the way of an on comming tank/truck, in SF tanks just runs over your men with no effect, it really kills that sense of realism!

I hadnt noticed that. On the point of guys running through walls in CMx1 games, i dont remember there being big walls in those games, and i sort of assumed ( i know, stupid me ) that large walls would be impassable.

So, the question is, what exactly IS abstracted?

Are the larger walls supposed to be impassable, or can they guys move through ANY wall except those of houses? ( With houses they are supposed to use doors )

We definetly need some clarification on this.

In the battle where US needs to ambush uncon troops heading for a mosque, I've seen a Syrian squad flying out of a building, hovering through a wall, and another one crossing the road, and entering a building through a wall.

Makes ambushing a bit more difficult that way. 1:1 representation is really cool if it really is 1:1. Fingers crossed for 1.02...