Idea for a future version: Cooperative multiplayer?

It's only an idea: I think it would be very very nice to have cooperative play too. So we can play multiplayer 2 vs 2, or 3 vs 1... before the start of the mission every player is allotted the command of some assets in the chain of command; so in real time we can play big scenarios very better and have a lot more fun!

What do you think about this?

[ October 05, 2007, 01:50 AM: Message edited by: CptWasp ]

I would absolutely love such a feature. Coordination, communication, etc - so much more interesting than one-on-one play, to me. Friendly fog of war would make for some interesting situations.

Like you said - larger scenarios as well, especially in real time. It's difficult for me to control more than a company sized force without pausing every 5 seconds - but with a couple friends, up to a battallion. Sounds fun.

It can't be inconcievable. Surely all it really requires is splitting 'ownership' of each side up. All the unit individual LOS and LOF work is already being done, so the host presumably wouldn't have that much more work to do.

And you'd need voip.

But the only kind of battle I can see this being fun in is a several kilometer urban map with lots of conventional infantry. After all, giving a US player an Abrams in open terrain is giving him a Broken.I.Win. without even the button.

Really, thewood? this is wonderful!

Ali-Baba: the lag should be no problem, I play Falcon 4.0 with up to 3 human players and we had no problem at all. The amount of transferred data is very small, normally very smaller than the VOIP stream.

I never played CMSF in TCP, there is lag actually?

I am not sure why there is lag. In Rome: Total War I have played 3 vs 3 and it runs ok. There is lag when people start using flaming arrows. I supsect that all those nice graphics are the problem. But other games have a lot more people and less far less lag. We need and expert to explain why.

I'm sw engineer and normally the main problem is the amount of transferred data. If you send only coordinates and status data you will need a very narrow bandwidth. Voice and textures, when transferred via TCP/IP, are very bigger data, and they need a lot of bandwidth. Sometimes you can prioritize some data, but voice must be near-real time and coordinates too...

TCP/IP is best effort, so lag can vary during play and sometimes congestion over the net and the distance between the clients and the server will put a significant problem (and you will see the game freeze and "bounce").

Originally posted by CptWasp:

Ali-Baba: the lag should be no problem, I play Falcon 4.0 with up to 3 human players and we had no problem at all. The amount of transferred data is very small, normally very smaller than the VOIP stream.

There is lag, especially when the map is bigger than "tiny". Could be my connection but I suspect its the

very complex calculations of the engine that result in huge data transfer and consequently lag.

No RTS or flight sim is near that complex, with LOS/LOF , penetrations, realistic ranges etc. Hope they can do something to improve things.

There is lag, especially when the map is bigger than "tiny". Could be my connection but I suspect its the

very complex calculations of the engine that result in huge data transfer and consequently lag.

No RTS or flight sim is near that complex, with LOS/LOF , penetrations, realistic ranges etc. Hope they can do something to improve things.

These data don't need to be transferred, they are computed on every machine. Only coordinates and statuses are transferred in such a game and in sims.

• 4 months later...

Judging from Steve's recent comments, coop play is still on the drawing board, but I wouldn't expect it anytime soon. . . sounds to me like it's on a timeline to come in with the WWII game, or one of the modules thereafter.

I mean, let's face it. The game is getting better and better, but there's still a lot fundamental combat modeling issues to work out, before they can really focus on adding large new features like coop play.

Cheers,

YD

Originally posted by Ali-Baba:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by CptWasp:

No RTS or flight sim is near that complex, with LOS/LOF , penetrations, realistic ranges etc. Hope they can do something to improve things. </font>