Different ammo for the same weapon

Amedeo

Will CMSF be able to model not only the different types of ammunition for a given weapon but also different models of the same kind of ammunition?

For example, a T-55's 100mm gun might be armed with the old BR-412D APC round or more modern BM8 APDS rounds or perhaps the newer BM25 APFSDS. They all are kinetic penetrators but with very different characteristics. The same could be said for US 120mm guns or syrian 125mm ones or for many other weapons that are not tank guns.

Comments?

Regards,

Amedeo

We'd all be shocked if BFC goes the 'generic' ammo route, especially after all the fine work they did with Axis and Allied tank ammo in the other games. You've got me wondering, though, about how much 'exotic' ammo might be fielded in the game. The brand-new 120mm Beehive round for instance, or RPG types besides the ubiquitous RPG-7, or later-generation 100mm tank rounds.

Y'know, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference in-game fielding a later generation 100mm round. The new round still won't pierce an Abrams bow, and the old round is capable of easily passing through a Bradley or Stryker like it was tissue paper. The only advantage might be the APFSDS flat trajectory with its higher first round hit probability.

Well, they're tungsten pellets, but nevermind.

Oops, too late.

Beehive is flechettes, which have a nasty tendancy to bend on impact so they create very nasty wounds. They're also pretty hard to spot with X-rays.

Even if flechettes weren't illegal (and I don't think that they are banned, actually), the mess that 120mms worth would make would be pretty horrific.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

I'd always though that Tungsten rounds referred to Tungsten steel an alloy of Iron with a small percentage of Wolframium in it, in the same way that stainless steel is an alloy of Iron and Nickel.

All the "tungsten" projectiles I can think of at the moment are really made of tungsten carbide. Never heard of anyone mixing iron with it.

All the best,

John.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

We'd all be shocked if BFC goes the 'generic' ammo route, especially after all the fine work they did with Axis and Allied tank ammo in the other games.

It is true that BFC did a fine work modelling different kinds of the same generic type of ammunition for a give weapon in CMx1. Just think about the various 76mm AP and APBC rounds available to the Soviets. The point is that they did this in a "diacronic" fashion, e.g. only a single type of, say, kinetik penetrator is available to a particular weapon, although the exact kind may vary according to the date.

Now I was wondering about the possibility to introduce this kind of differentiation in a "synchronic" way (i.e. all available at the same time).

Regards,

Amedeo