What I hate about CMSF and why WEGO is overated

What do I hate about CMSF? I hate that PBEM numbers PBEM files. I have always been opposed tothem except for specific situations like writing an AAR, testing of some sort, or a meta campaign type thing. But this auto numbering is a pain in the arse if you can't talk your opponant out of it. I have turns that appear in the 4th page of the "saved games" folder when loading a PBEM file. And heaven help you if you are playing the same scenario with 2 people.

Edited to avoid torrent

[ August 03, 2007, 07:36 PM: Message edited by: Elvis ]

Originally posted by Elvis:

Playing a PBEM game I ended a turn with a squad about to "safely" enter a building. So the next turn I ordered another squad to follow them in. The first squad upon entering the building got torn apart at the beginning of the next movie and I was helpless as I watched the second squad meet the same fate. I undersatnd with PBEM there is no other way to do it but WEGO but if it had been single player RT or TCP I could have saved taht squad.

Looks like the TacAI is going to get yet another torrent of abuse ;)

TM.

Hey, Elvis - it is easier to destroy than create. Just reverse over them numbers with the backspace, and Bob's your Uncle. Don't forget to rename the file the first time you play it, like a suffix on the scen name like "vs. Buddy" or whatever.

I also figured my victory was due to poor pathfinding, but hey - you got to admit, that Mexican Standoff with the Bradley and the BMP was pretty cool.

Truth be told, I has the same problem playing the same side you did, when I did that scen against J.

I prefer numbering for couple of reasons. Firstly, because I like to save the files for later watching. Secondly, because if I get lost with "am I waiting for a turn or is he waiting for a turn?" then a quick comparison of the Outgoing and Incoming folders tells that - if incoming has Sergei vs. Elvis 139 and outgoing Sergei vs. Elvis 138, then I'm the slacker!

For single play savegames it's less useful. Over the campaign you get dozens of files. And there's no ingame delete savegame option, so you have to do it in file manager.

Originally posted by Elvis:

Runyan99, if you don't number there is never confusion. If the file is named ElvisvsRunyan99 then the only possible file that is in play is that one. Less confusion.

I've been playing email games for a lot of years. If you use the same filename, and don't number, you'll eventually run into a situation where I send you a file, you don't get it, then you resend me your old file a few days later, thinking I didn't get the last one, which I then download and overwrite my current file.

Believe me, I've been doing this a lot of years. Numbering makes it easy to see who has the current turn, and you can easily request a needed file if it is numbered.

Originally posted by Runyan99:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Elvis:

Runyan99, if you don't number there is never confusion. If the file is named ElvisvsRunyan99 then the only possible file that is in play is that one. Less confusion.

I've been playing email games for a lot of years. If you use the same filename, and don't number, you'll eventually run into a situation where I send you a file, you don't get it, then you resend me your old file a few days later, thinking I didn't get the last one, which I then download and overwrite my current file.

Believe me, I've been doing this a lot of years. Numbering makes it easy to see who has the current turn, and you can easily request a needed file if it is numbered. </font>