SWORDS teleoperated armed robot--is it in?

Am watching the new episode of Future Weapons in which I saw a segment on an armed adaptation of an existing EOD and search robot called Talon. The armed version, SWORDS, can carry, in addition to no less than five cameras, some of which let the operator read a nametag from 300-400 meters away,

an M240 MG, and M249, an M2, 6 x 40mm grenade launchers, or even a Barrett .50 cal. sniper rifle.

RF command link range is 1 kilometer. Based on what I saw, this thing looks like it could already be in Iraq, but will it be in CM:SF?

Regards,

John Kettler

Thank you both, I am about 3 months into my deployment, working VERY long hours, and can't wait to see what CMSF turns out to be.

This forum seems to be close to death. I hope some updates in near future bring some life

Everything is well with me so far, but few of my platoon members are having family problems. Please pray for them if you would like

[ May 19, 2006, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

It must be especially rough for people if things keep up the way they are, as it seems there are a lot of scare stories about the US economy right now, be it gas prices going up or house prices going down.

Add to that just the general strain of deployment especiallly when it becomes multiple ones and it can take it's toll.

The last thing you want when you are abroad is to be worrying about whether you will have a home to go back too.

Peter

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

It must be especially rough for people if things keep up the way they are, as it seems there are a lot of scare stories about the US economy right now, be it gas prices going up or house prices going down.

Add to that just the general strain of deployment especiallly when it becomes multiple ones and it can take it's toll.

The last thing you want when you are abroad is to be worrying about whether you will have a home to go back too.

Peter

One of my friends been on 4 deployments in 6 years.

I will be homeless and carless when I return

Happy to see you up on the worldwide web and checking in M1A1Tankcommander.

About robot vehicles. If they're being deployed how are they deployed? Are they portioned out at Battalion level? Company level? Are they a stand-alone force like the old WWII tank destroyer force, or specal forces? Is their use (besides bomb disposal) confined to static areas like airfield patrolling?

Maybe robots would be out of scope of the game, maybe they'd be tailor-made for CMSF battles. I just don't have a good handle on how robot vehicles (in the 2007 timeframe) would be integrated into - or cooperate with - a Stryker Brigade during an offensive operation.

• 1 month later...

I just read in Stars and Stripes (US Military newspaper) that UAVs are the most needed weapons in Iraq. They are becoming an indenspensible part of recon.

Mostly used are Raven UAVs, which are carried in backpacs on company level, and Swords UGV, deployed against IEDs.