Milan AT

I've found at Global Security some stats about the Syrian Army, that it as French-German 'Milan' ATGM available, at least as much as AT-4. Just wonder why they are not in the game and if they will be added?

Okay, not the most important thing to do, but anyway smile.gif

[ April 20, 2008, 08:51 AM: Message edited by: Scipio ]

IIRC, Steve stated that the Milan will be added with the Marines Module.

Logic being, I think, that the Marines Module is going to add Syrian Airborne formations, and the Milans are mostly concentrated in these formations.

I'm curious to see which model of the Milan BFC decides to give the Syrians. They definitely have them, but I haven't been able to find definitive information as to which version(s) the Syrians possess; the newer versions of the Milan are much more potent than the earlier ones.

Cheers,

YD

On the subject of the Milan ATGM, I remember posting my concerns somewhere about that piece of equipment shortly after CM:SF was released. That's cool that they will be in the Marine module.

On a side note about Syrian ATGMS, I've read a couple intel reports and analyses on the subject of ATGM procurement and use during the recent Isreali war and all of them mentioned that Syria supplies many of the ATGMs to Hizbollah.

What I've always wondered is how much of Syria's ATGM stock has been passed on to Hizbollah and others, and is not really available to them anymore. Most of the systems Syria supplied are pretty old and I doubt they are getting any more direct replacements for those. Maybe they buy and store a big pile of ATGMS on the side just to supply their friends. Also, I wonder if the really expensive and limited supply ATGMs like the AT-14s they "loaned" out are given back to Syria later.

I want to interview an important Syrian general smile.gif

Would just like to add that the same site confirms that the Syrian AT-3s are indeed the fly it yourself models, at least, if in infantry use. Rather like the comment that the Chinese version of the AT-3C uses "indigenous guidance," which is deliciously ambiguous. That's nothing, though, compared to Global Security's schizophrenic assessment of the AT-14 Kornet-E, which is somehow, by turns, a laser beam rider and a wire guided missile!

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/russia/at-14.htm

Am glad the Milan will be in with the Syrian airborne.

Regards,

John Kettler

We decided to omit the MILAN. From the best info we have the MILANs that the Syrians had were not many in number and are quite old. We expect that they have been retired due to likelihood that they wouldn't work. Missiles can't sit around forever.

Another reason for the probable abandonment is that the Syrians have access to AT-14s. Compared to the MILANs that the Syrians have (very old production for sure... 1980s acquisition IIRC) the AT-14s are much better in all respects.

Steve