Help! Unhandled Exception c00000005...

I have been working on a CM scenario for 8 hours now. Saved it many times. But then CM crashed after hitting the preview button and gave the following error message:

CMBB_Editor_Error.jpg

Now every time I try to open this scenario CM crashes, even after a complete system reboot. The file seems to be corrupted somehow.

Is there a way to recover this file?

Nils

There's no way I know of recovering this file since the error is probably in the internal data structures that aren't published.

The error you're getting is most likely related to DirectX (the memory address 'c0000005' is a general indicator). Perhaps you've exceeded the maximum number of units or some other detail that is stored in the scenario file that is causing CM to crash. Which game is this, CMAK ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

There's no way I know of recovering this file since the error is probably in the internal data structures that aren't published.

I was worried you were gonna say that. :(

The error you're getting is most likely related to DirectX (the memory address 'c0000005' is a general indicator). Perhaps you've exceeded the maximum number of units or some other detail that is stored in the scenario file that is causing CM to crash. Which game is this, CMAK ?
It's CMBB. Running on a PIV 3.2Ghz - 1024MB DDR.

If it is so that a maximum of units was exeeded then I guess it's a clear signal. I'll have to keep it below this certain 'level'.

I'm truly worried now that files can get corrupt this way. On the other hand should I have made copies of it.

Thanks for your help Schrullenhaft.

Nils

From my own experience & others I know this could be a memory timing problem. It cleared up for me on one rig when I opened it up & saw that 1 of the memory modules was in the wrong slot ( this was an ASUS n8v7 MoBo 3 slots only 2 could handle a high FSB speed. I switch it to the correct slot & the exceptions cleared up.

A friend I pbem CMBB with had the same problem. He found his memory speed was too slow (wrong type of memory modules - too slow) he lowered his FSB speed & the problem cleared up. The FSB (Front Side Bus) is the main data path in your PC. Think of it's speed like the accelerator in an auto - everything speed up depending on it's speed; CPU, memory, Graphics card, etc.

Check your MoBo Documentation..

[ May 14, 2004, 08:02 AM: Message edited by: Alkiviadis ]

Originally posted by eichenbaum:

Alkiviadis,

Everything should work with 400Mhz. That can't be too slow. But I'll check it out once more to be cerain.

Thanks.

The thing is, to check to see if your memory module type is the correct speed for synching with your FSB speed, also check to see if that memory's timing might not be a little too aggresive speed wise for synching with your FSB speed. Anyway, I found that the problem you are experiencing cleared up for me & friends when approached via speed & memory.

• 6 months later...
Originally posted by gillius:

someone can help me, I have the same problem with mi computer. Im geeting the error

" Unhandled exception: c00000005....."

When doing what? Working on a big scenario, too?

Eichenbaum, gillius, whatever CMBB patch you use, try a different one (probably 1.02). You get a different executable and who knows maybe you are lucky and it allows one whatever you miss more. Then delete one unit or whatever hurts 1.03 and you are back at normal.

gillius you'll need to provide more details about your problem and your computer (such as Windows version, videocard, etc.). As Redwolf pointed out, this thread was initially a problem with a large scenario that may have had too many units in it. Are you getting this "unhandled exception" when you start up CM ? Which CM are you using; CMBO, CMBB or CMAK ?

Have you been able to run CM at all or have you gotten only this error when attempting to run it ? The most common cause for this error is DirectX and video drivers. You may want to check your DirectX version and possibly reinstall it. The same goes for your video driver; you may want to uninstall and reinstall it (with reboots between each step). Usually the latest driver is recommended, but sometimes the latest driver is the actual culprit in the problem and you may have to downgrade to an earlier version. Changing versions of drivers makes it fairly important to perform an uninstall before installing the different version (just as a precaution).