Review @ Out of Eight

Originally posted by Mace:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by beardiebloke:

"The game even has realistic sound velocities: the first time you see an explosion off in the distance and then hear it seconds later you'll appreciate how much work went into the game." <-- Wow!

Can't think of any game that's had that before.

Steel Beasts Pro has speed of sound modelled </font>

On the sound velocities point, I noticed in the "Javelin" YouTube video that there is about a 1 second delay between the appearance of the explosion where the Javelin warhead detonated and the sound of the explosion reaching the viewer's location on the map. All well and good. However, I would have expected the explosion to sound slightly different the further away it was, which did not seem to be the case. Is it the exact same .wav file (or equivalent) being played with a delay or is the sound actually modified for distance? The latter would of course be preferable if it could be done. Not being a sound engineer I don't know exactly what effect distance has on a particular sound but maybe it could be simulated using software to distort the .wav file. Any ideas?

Just to add one final point, the intensity of the sound seemed quite high considering the distance. Even reducing the volume by a proportionate amount would be better than nothing.

[ July 17, 2007, 05:58 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

Long gone are the days when Nvidia had "superior" drivers compared to the competition. Sadly some people still think that way and won´t even consider ATI/AMD alternatives which currently have better drivers.

Well on to the review, which was great, but left me wonder about one thing. Does CM:SF have anykinda tutorial? Not a deal breaker even if it does not since I have played previous CM games alot.

Also great to hear that Battlefront is already fixing bugs. One question arose about the patch, will the release version of the game have this 1.01 patch included or will it be released on a later date? That was not totally clear to me, might be cause english is not my native lanquage.

Glad to see you liked it.

However, I would have enjoyed the review more without the cracks at the RTS genre. Whenever I see them from wargamers, it just brings a silly "1-2-3-4 I declare a nerd war" air to the whole piece. The RTS v. strategy game stuff should be retired to wherever the Star Wars v. Star Trek arguments go. smile.gif

The thing that struck me about the review was that in wego the turn is resolved in real time, then played back. If that's the case, and you have to wait for a minute, then watch the playback, no matter how fast you can resolve the turn, it seems cumbersome.

You can skip past the playback, after the turn is resolved in real time. It does require a few extra clicks compared to the old CM games, to finish viewing the playback.

Originally posted by Sirocco:

The thing that struck me about the review was that in wego the turn is resolved in real time, then played back. If that's the case, and you have to wait for a minute, then watch the playback, no matter how fast you can resolve the turn, it seems cumbersome.

Originally posted by sam0t:

Long gone are the days when Nvidia had "superior" drivers compared to the competition. Sadly some people still think that way and won´t even consider ATI/AMD alternatives which currently have better drivers.

Not to get into a full on flame war here but this is so wrong. I have seen many reviews of Dx10 cards and I keep seeing issues mentioned with the latest ATI cards. And while they have improved their intial drivers a lot, when it was first released it was horrible.

I have had both cards over the years but ATI is really flagging now, and it does not make it easier when the company gets bought by another.

All drivers have bugs. But they are buggy in different areas, it seems that nVidia has a Vista 64 problem with their latest and greatest card (so it has the least amount of testing). In time I'm sure it will be fixed, either because a big company will need it fixed, or over time they will react to complaints from smaller companies.

Oh and BTW, how do we know if ATI has a problem with Viata-64 with their latest card.. Does a tester actually have that setup? If you check out the statistics of people playing Source games you will see that hardly anyone actually owns a ATI HD 2900.

Sorry to derail this slightly but that comment seemed to be 100% fanboy based.

Some sources (just did a quick google)

http://www.elitebastards.com/cms/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=432&Itemid=29&limit=1&limitstart=3

Quote from above

"Sadly, this is where things begin to go awry for ATI from the very start - While NVIDIA's drivers show no rendering issues with this title, firing up the game in DirextX 10 mode on any Radeon HD 2000 graphics board gives horrible corruption for all in-game text, making any menu screens unreadable. It appears from looking around the World in Conflict beta forum that this issue will be addressed by a forthcoming patch, but once again we find ourselves in a very disappointing situation where ATI's DirectX 10 hardware isn't currently able to fully enjoy its capabilties on account of driver or developer relations issues.

Despite this issue, we managed to work around the problems to deliver results for our two ATI boards by basically memorising the layout of menus to make our way around and run the benchmark - Thankfully, the actual rendering of the benchmark and game itself (text aside) is without, issue, so we can at least get an early indicator of performance under these boards from this."

http://enthusiast.hardocp.com/article.html?art=MTM1MSw2LCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdA==

QUote from aboves conclusion

"The Bottom Line

We hoped newer driver revisions would improve performance on the ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT. With the newer driver we used for this evaluation we did not see any “magic” happen when it comes to real world gaming experiences at resolutions at and above 1600x1200. The ATI Radeon HD 2900 XT is not even a match for even the much less expensive and much less power hungry 320 MB GeForce 8800 GTS."

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=7052

[Edited from initial post to be a little less fanboyish on my side.. Hey we are only human]

[ July 17, 2007, 10:06 AM: Message edited by: MHertogh ]

Originally posted by VonWebb:

Just friggin sucks that I have to get a new computer to play this goddamn wicked sounding GAME!

Anyone got a couple thousand duckets I can borrow?????

Maybe not mate, my PC is pretty old (bought in 2005 when it was pretty decent) and I reckon it could handle CMSF. As it happened, I've just upgraded the graphics board to one of the aforementioned 8800 GTS and it flies now - didn't even need to upgrade the power supply, which kind of surprised me. Pretty reasonably priced too.

Incidentally, I've not yet had any issues with the Nvidia graphics drivers and any of my current games....hope thats the same for CMSF! Kept my old graphics card just in case though, I will not be denied! ;)

Originally posted by Guinnessman:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by VonWebb:

Just friggin sucks that I have to get a new computer to play this goddamn wicked sounding GAME!

Anyone got a couple thousand duckets I can borrow?????

Maybe not mate, my PC is pretty old (bought in 2005 when it was pretty decent) and I reckon it could handle CMSF. As it happened, I've just upgraded the graphics board to one of the aforementioned 8800 GTS and it flies now - didn't even need to upgrade the power supply, which kind of surprised me. Pretty reasonably priced too.

Incidentally, I've not yet had any issues with the Nvidia graphics drivers and any of my current games....hope thats the same for CMSF! Kept my old graphics card just in case though, I will not be denied! ;) </font>