Hull Down possible in CMSF!?

Pandur

we all know that it isnt that intuitive to find a hull down position in CMSF as it was in CMx1.

i dont talk about the "seek hull down" command, that was unnessesary for the most part, in my eyes.

when i aproach a crest, and get in a hull down position, the vehicle doest see anything in the first place in CMSF. its like they are spotting through a little hole in the lower hull.

i have to put vehicles at least on top of that crest and thats not how it should work, especially when going against M1´s with RED tanks.

examples;

hd1cy7.th.jpg

hd2lv9.th.jpg

hd3tr6.th.jpg

I have an idea that could be a LOS fix

Here how it would work.

1. Your unit is behind the top of the hill, the possible enemy on the other side of the crest

2. You use Traget (i prefer a CM1 style LOS tool) and target some point on the other side of the hill

3. The game would display a Graphical Icon on the ground, that if you wanted to be in a hull-down position relative to the point you are targeting, you would move your unit there.

4. Voila!

hulldown.jpg

[ December 25, 2007, 12:00 PM: Message edited by: M1A1TankCommander ]

M1A1TankCommander,

I like your idea for a Hull Down UI graphic. If it could be done, it would be a welcome addition to the game.

By the way, Steve has already stated that the problem with targeting over a crest in v1.05 is a known bug related to the low wall problem and will be fixed very soon by the promised v1.06 "hotfix".

One way this could have been done in CMx1:

1. add a movement waypoint near the position where you think hull down position would be

2. add Face command toward possible enemy position

3. adjust this first waypoint so that you see from Face command's line colour when LOS is blocked, when not. When it's not, there's your hull down position.

In other words, what we really need is adjustable waypoints.

I really miss CMx1 clarity in terrain positioning, hull down, LOS/LOF. It was VERY precise visually, I never had any problems manually positioning my tanks in perfect hull down positions. CMSF though fails in something an almost ten years old engine seemed to handle flawessly. While in 1.04 you could see and fire through terrain, in 1.05 you cant fire if you dont overexpose your vehicle. Check the first campaign mission and you'll see there is no chance to put the tank in proper hull down. These things should be working straight from the start, not being adjusted forth and back from patch to patch. I love the finer mesh, the 1:1 and loved the improvements in the latest patch. But still, many things feel wrong and multiplayer, which I thought it would be awesome in RT, is a major letdown.

The TC in buttoned up, he would have a very hard time looking down that hill.

Perhaps if you unbutton you get better LOS

i take an educated guess here. there is "LOS" and "NO LOS" when we use the target tool. so what do you mean by "better LOS"!? there is just 0%(pink/darkblue) or 100%(blue) so to say.

also, its maybe not perfectly noticable in the picture but i positioned the tank´s in the screens so that the gun is able to point to the area in question without beeing obstructed. now when we take it that most visual instruments are somewhere mounted above gun level i assume that they should see verry well in this situations.

also it doesnt look like the TC could actively rise the view height of the tank in the game, so it most probably doesnt matter if the TC is buttoned or not.

I use the down all the time, it workks well for me los is not a clear cause of gras and bush and such, so really narrow cover arcs help a ton .
the same, what do you mean by "los is not clear"!? is it blocked than!?

someone post me a screen of "not so good LOS" please!?

Its not like in CMx1 where you "What you see is what you get" but more guessing and Luck.
i came to the same results while playing. M1A1TC´s idea is allready a good aproach to fix this. unfortunately it wouldnt be needed if this would be possible allready. by that i mean that it doesnt take a master in math to find a hull down position. if a visual hint to HD positions would be "currently" displayed i think we wouldnt find any when we are there.

it just makes sense when the engine allows for spotting over crests with upper parts of vehicles wich obviously is hindered now.

as the screens show, if currently the game would suggest that there are HD positions, i would have found them allready and realized there arent any smile.gif