The (un) Official Hanging / Glitching / Performance Problem Q&A Thread

just so there aren't 30,000 threads with the same kind of complaints and answers - use THIS ONE please. :D

Update your video and sound drivers.

There seems to be a known nVidia performance problem but it was reportedly fixed in 1.01. ATI users should update drivers.

Make sure you O/S is up to date.

Dual Core AMD users having troubles might try the AMD Dual Core Optimizer patch.

XP SP2 with a dual core try the Microsoft fix:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

Paradox Customer - Get the latest CMSF patch 1.01.

Post your problem including all system specs over in the CMSF Tech Support Forum

[ July 27, 2007, 01:03 PM: Message edited by: J Ruddy ]

During the briefing and unit placement phase I keep hearing every troop saying different things combining to a true sound chaos. The graphics seem to do some sort of "waves" during the setup phase. Also the soldiers seem to be switching from a stance where they stand with their arms at their side to a T-like stance and back all the time. About one second per stance. Then when I try to press play the game hangs. Tried to play 3 times with realtime but didnt try the turn based yet. So in short at least the RT is unplayable in my computer which has a setup of:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6400 @ 2.13ghz

2GB 667mhz RAM

Asus GeForce 8800GTS 640mb

Win XP 32bit

Same thing happened when I tried to play with turn based mode. I have all my drivers & OS updated including the brand new nvidia ones; version 162.18.

Mine installed ok but when I launch the game I get an application error as soon as I double click the CMSF icon.

"THE APPLICATION FAILED TO INITIALIZE PROPERLY (0XC00000005). CLICK ON OK TO TERMINATE THE APPLICATION"

I have tried DLing and installing it twice with no luck. Any help would be appreciated.

Win XP SP2

Intel dual core 3.0ghz

Nvidia 7950 GX2

Latest vid drivers

2 gb RAM

Just adding this from another thread in case this becomes the primary one.

This is regarding the application failed to initialize error on startup:

I have the same problem. I disabled Data Execution Prevention for "CM Shock Force.exe" in the control panel (system->advanced->performance settings->data execution prevention), and got rid of:

CMSF_Error.png

After that, it just doesn't do anything. Sometimes it just leaves the executable as a process consuming about 7MiBs of ram.

When I set it to win98 compatibility (a desperate hope) it behaves the same, but now and then I get this instead:

CMSF_Error2.png

Core2duo E6600

2GB ram

8800gtx (nvidia forceware 182.18)

x-fi

WinXP SP2 patched to the current state.

I tried downloading three times so far, with different clients. I don't think the download is corrupt at this point.

Guys, try this for the c00000005 error.

1. Right-click on "My Computer"

2. Select "Properties"

3. Click on the "Advanced" Tab.

4. Click on the Performance "Settings" Button

5. Click on the "Data Execution Prevention" Tab

6. Verify that "Turn on DEP for essential Windows programs and services only" is selected. If it is not, select that option and click "APPLY" and then try and run the game.

Note: Even if you see that option checked already, go ahead and uncheck and then recheck it to ensure that its activated!

Actually, this sounds like Hotti has the Windows power management problem. To fix that, go to this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C2AB5A48-8240-4934-BBD8-34FB8A0FCE3B&displaylang=en

If you don't have a multi-processor computer, then this won't help. Then again, I don't think you'd be seing those sorts of problems if you didn't :D

Steve

Slow performance?

1) Turning off v-sync in the game.

2) Make sure your vidcard is set to have "Applications Control" for anti-aliasing.

I said that the really laggy camera movement came from right click panning. WASD has an intentional delay at the beginning, which is irritating, but not as laggy as the panning.

Apparantly there is a known issue with nVidia drivers, it has been reported by JaguarUSF

that this should be addressed in 1.02.

When I try to start the game it goes to a black screen and doesn't change when I ctrl-alt-del the task manager says the program is not responding.

Ok I removed the intro.wmv from the data folder and the game will load now, I had a similar problem with Distant Guns don't know what is causing it.

Sounds like a video codec issue.

originally posted by Steve[qb]

The fix JaguarUSF mentioned is already in v1.01. So there must be something else hammering your speed, though at the moment I can't think of what it might be. We have plenty of nVidia users (testers, reviewers, and customers) that are getting the speed they should. You should NOT be seeing single digit speed on your system, so definitely something is wrong.

I suggest popping over to the new CM:SF Tech Support Forum and we'll try to work it through with you. There should be a fix for it "as is". If not, we'll certainly want to work with you to figure out why your system isn't happy with CM.