CM:SF Marines.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Imperial Grunt,

While it's good to know that romance isn't dead, how do this square with the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy? On a more serious note, I'm still getting used to the high port carry position, since it seems like it wouldn't work for firing. If the Marines were carrying M1/M14s that way, then this would be true, but M-16s/M4s have such low recoil that this highly improbable approach apparently not only works but works well. Go figure!

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by John Kettler:

On a more serious note, I'm still getting used to the high port carry position, since it seems like it wouldn't work for firing.

High port carry position, is that what they call those awkward-looking positions that i see soldiers in Iraq holding their M16s where the soldier holds the weapon high up on their chest?

Imperial Grunt,

While it's good to know that romance isn't dead, how do this square with the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy? On a more serious note, I'm still getting used to the high port carry position, since it seems like it wouldn't work for firing. If the Marines were carrying M1/M14s that way, then this would be true, but M-16s/M4s have such low recoil that this highly improbable approach apparently not only works but works well. Go figure!

Regards,

John Kettler

Umm...what?

I have no idea what you are talking about. But the high port carrying position is used when you want to keep your muzzle oriented up. The standard rifle carrying position in the "alert", formally known as the "low-ready", which is when the rifle is in your shoulder and the muzzle is canted down at approx 45 degrees or so.

Homo ferricus and Imperial Grunt,

I may well have the wrong term, but I am indeed talking about the weapon's being held high on the chest, muzzle slightly depressed, stock more on the clavicle than the shoulder, with firing done while so configured. When I first saw it, I thought the soldiers doing this were nuts, until I remembered how low the recoil forces are for the M16/M4.

Regards,

John Kettler

Homo ferricus and Imperial Grunt,

I may well have the wrong term, but I am indeed talking about the weapon's being held high on the chest, muzzle slightly depressed, stock more on the clavicle than the shoulder, with firing done while so configured. When I first saw it, I thought the soldiers doing this were nuts, until I remembered how low the recoil forces are for the M16/M4.

Regards,

John Kettler

OK, I understand what you are describing. That carrying position is a result of the alert position (rifle butt in shoulder, weapon canted down 30-45 degrees) combined with the reality of body armor and gear. It is actually very comformtable to carry the M-16A4/M-4 in that position since it is hard to get the stock fully seated into the shoulder with a flak on, especially if the soldier/Marine is wearing one of those shoulder protectors as well. The flak causes the stock to seat closer in. And with the weapon in this position, you can still quickly and accurately get your sights and muzzle on target to engage the enemy.

Kinda hard to explain in words, but if you come on down to Camp Pendleton and let me throw a flak on you, run you up and down the hills a few times, and then go shoot with a M-16, you will know exactly what I am talking about!

In this picture, I think Marines 4 and 5 (the last Marine in the first fireteam and the first Marine in the second fireteam) in the stack have thier rifles in the position I am attempting to describe.

pi112404b2.jpg