Gun Elevation Limits

Are gun elevation limits built into the game, i.e. are tanks supposed to be able to fire their main gun and the coax at units directly above them? Also, is vehicle attitude, i.e. hull tilt, taken into account for this?

In other words, is this “supposed” to happen or is it actually a bug of some sort?

abramsvericalfireyd4.th.jpg

The Abrams was able to fire it’s main gun and the coax at my team on top of the cliff – the red target line shows that the way the tank’s hull is tilted it would have to have it’s gun elevated to 90-degrees vertical in order to make that shot.

Also, while we’re on the topic of “is this supposed to happen?” – are Abrams supposed to walk away with out a single casualty from a *rear* hit with a VBIED? :rolleyes:

Well, the shooting though the hill thing I can understand... that kind of terrain would've been a killer on LOS calculations back in CMx1 with it's 20m terrain mesh... I can only imagine what kind of havoc the new 8m mesh can cause tongue.gif

Also, in all fairness the hill did stop the main gun rounds from reaching the squad... the MG fire seems to have gotten though however, that's what caused all of the casualties and suppression.

Louch about the VBIED, they shouldn't, but how close was the detonation? I created a dirty little scenario to test out all aspect of the unconventional warfare side as the Syrians and from what I saw of the VBIEDs they'll nail almost anything. However, I didn't use them against any Abrams only Strykers and dismounted infantry, but I know a VBIED will take out infantry 20-30m away from the detonation site and can still knock out Strykers 10+m away.

Did a few tests on the IEDs - for Abrams and even Bradleys, the vehicles had to be right on top of a Large+ IED to get KO'ed ... any lesser combination, even a Huge IED to the side, doesn't do much of any damage.

Strykers on the other hand are a little softer and can be taken out by a Large from 10-15m away, as well as a Med placed right under it.

Small IEDs seem only useful against dismounts.

But going back to the issue at hand... can anyone "in the know" comment on the Gun Elevation issue? has this been talked about in the past? As far as I remember CMBB and CMAK had it modeled, so I'd expect it to be pretty high up on the "wish list" for CMSF as well.

One of the issues I have (not a big one) is I have no idea what is modeled. Can I use Jane's as reference or is combat Rock/Paper/Scissors or is it something in between.

I have assumed that the armor combat fidelity is at least at the level of earlier CM, but I just don't know and there has been little discussion about it.

Honestly my impression is that the fidelity is not as accurate as CM. The gut is telling me that we lost it for RT glitz. Smaller scale. More "main stream". Larger ADD clickfest crowd.

That being said, I paid my dues and I will stick by BFC. I'll give them time to "adjust fire mission" on this one and git’er on target. They have shown us the way thru several of their titles and this one has some growing pains to work through. Unfortunately this release may give many fans pause on the next release.

Those are the coolest mountain/cliffsides I've seen yet in the game! The closest I've got to mountains like that was when i once accidentally typed in the wrong elevation number :D;)

i have noticed in the initial campaign game 'Breakthrough at the Berm' an Abrams hull-down behind the berm is able to aim/shoot at a lower gun depression than the animation permits. Frankly depression/elevation limits don't much come into play in most scenarios. If limits get included in a future patch its the ex-Russian equipment that's going to take the biggest hit.