How to hide from IR

Guest Guest

Depends on the sensor and the resolution. If you are trying to hide your body heat then you need to be hiding behind or inside something. But even if your heat signature can be seen, if the observer is too far away then he probably won't know what you are. In that case staying still may be your best bet unless he is just firing at any heat source.

At long range the image on an IR sensor is often just a bright dot (or a dark one depending on how you have your screen set). If you don't already know what it is then it isn't going to mean anything to you except maybe as something you want to have checked out.

Brush is very good as if you are hiding close behind it, you can see through the small holes in it, but the TI -operator cannot see you as resolution usually is not that good at 500+ meters... Also used with good experiences is the "space blanket", dunno if we mean the same thing here, but the blanket a trooper carries to not get frozen when sleeping on ground...

But best way to cover yourself from TI IMO is to have even moderate visual cover and warm decoys somewhere else close by to take all the attention... Stuff like candles cunningly deployed in plastic bags etc. that is not to be recognized as decoy from a far...

Zip

Originally posted by dan/california:

The thing i don't see a way around is the way that weapon barrels glow like beacons once the firing starts. They instantly become these huge kill me signs for the side with less firepower.

Sure...Muzzle flashes haven't given him away alot earlier (at night). Which are easily visible to long distances, unlike hot barrel which is rather small object. If hot barrel is visible then gunner's head is much more visible :D

Or barrel can be pressed to behind ground or other visual cover.

There are lots of ways which can be used at various situations... If one is aware of them, or he is aware that he is in danger of being imagined with thermals.

Things like weapons barrels and vehicle heat are irrelevant. Thermal sights can sense 1 degree of temperature difference from ambient air. You can actually see the camo pattern on uniforms because they radiate heat differently. If they can see the barrel of your weapon they can see you as well. Like MiB said, shoot and scoot, or be in a position that lets you take whatever the other guy might throw at you.

Oh another tip I almost forgot. Locate yourself near rocky ground. They absorb heat all day and at night, depending on the climate, they will mask (or very much impede viewing of) anything warm among them.

That only works with some thermals though...

Adam1,

I have previously addressed this in the Syrian advanced threat threads, but one I know that worked like gangbusters was to place aluminized mylar on a light wooden frame and use it as a screen inside a woodline for a tank. In both visual and IR bands the mylar reflected the woodline, completely obscuring the tank. When it simply rolled forward

over the screen, appearing from seemingly nowhere,

the shock effect on the ambushed was stunning.

Regards,

John Kettler