Red Air Power mod

Seeing as how a lot of designers are giving the red side air support, I decided to put together a quick mod that changes the names and pictures for all the air support to red equivalents:

A-10 -> Su-25T Frogoot

AH-64D -> Mi-24 Hind

F-15E -> Su-25 Frogfoot

F-16C -> Su-24 Fencer

OH-58D -> Mi-8 Hip

Find it at CMMODs!

slug88,

Good job, but I'd suggest reversing the order of the Red entries for the F-15E and F-16C. The Su-24 is the deep strike theater aircraft, not the A-10sky Su-25 (design similar to losing Northrop A-9). If you really want to get into it, www.warfare.ru has terrific stuff on Russian

guided bombs, AGMs, etc., some even nastier than ours.

Regards,

John Kettler

John, actually I realize you're quite right, the role of the Frogfoot is much closer to that of the F-16 than the F-15E. I'm not sure if there's much of a distinction within the game, however, besides total payload per aircraft. Anyway, I'll revise it as per your suggestion.

edit: actually, now that I think about it, there was a reason that I chose those assignments in the first place. In game, the F-16 is labeled as 'Fighter-Bomber', which I thought would be a more appropriate match for the Su-24 than the Su-25. The Strike Eagle, on the other hand, is labaled as 'Ground Attack'.

Oh, and Paper Tiger, it was actually your excellent Hasrabit campaign that inspired me to make this. So thank you! :D

[ April 29, 2008, 10:56 PM: Message edited by: slug88 ]

Thanks for that. Hope you enjoy the rest of it. Some folks are finding it a bit tough...

BTW, Red air support is nerfed in CMSF. You can only make things go BANG, albeit somewhat spectacularly, which is fun. But it seems most of the AT stuff isn't available to a Red air spotter. Just HE and cannons. Shame, as John Kettler says, they have some pretty cool stuff to drop.

slug88,

Properly speaking, the F-15E Strike Eagle is a precision strike asset for theater targets and has the sensor suite to match, including high resolution synthetic aperture radar. The only reasons such an asset would be used for CAS, IMO, would be a) emergency situation, with ordnance needed now and no other assets available in time, or, B) the opposition's primary target array was so shattered that the F-15Es were released for general purpose missions.

The Su-24 FENCER may be thought of as a poor cousin of the now retired F-111 theater strike

aircraft, with the same basic role. As such, it is the closest equivalent Red has to the amazing F-15E, which is why I suggested it.

Paper Tiger,

I'd love to see the same loving attention given to Red airstrike capability as is being given to those lovely T-80, T-90s, BMP-3s and such in the new module. Contrary to popular delusion, the U.S. has no monopoly on guided or even exotic/state of the art air to ground munitions.

Regards,

John Kettler

I've updated the mod to include two versions: one for the Russian airforce, and one for the Syrians. Also changed the overall look somewhat. Here are the new aircraft assignments:

Russian

-------

A-10 : Su-25T Frogfoot

F-15E : Su-24M2 Fencer-D

F-16CJ : MiG-29M Fulcrum-E

AH-64D : Mi-24PN Hind

OH-58D : Mi-8TVK Hip-E

Syrian

-------

A-10 : Su-22 Fitter-F

F-15E : Su-24MK Fencer-D

F-16CJ : MiG-23BN Flogger-F

AH-64D : Mi-35P Hind-F

OH-58D : Mi-17 Hip-H

Thanks, Paper Tiger! Hope you like the new version as well!

BTW, Red air support is nerfed in CMSF. You can only make things go BANG, albeit somewhat spectacularly, which is fun. But it seems most of the AT stuff isn't available to a Red air spotter. Just HE and cannons. Shame, as John Kettler says, they have some pretty cool stuff to drop.
That's odd -- I had helicopters in your campaign during the Hill 142 mission, and I'm pretty sure they sent some kind of guided munition into the rebel tanks (more than once, even). It wasn't cannon or rockets -- just a single missile flying directly into enemy vehicles.

I think I gave the helicopters area fire / medium strike orders, if that helps.

Combatintman,

Given the core premise of CMSF, I agree as to the first, but would suggest also that good modeling of what capabilities the Syrians have could permit some hair-raising West World ("where nothing can go wrong..go wrong..go wrong) type scenarios. What happens when a cruise missile, targeted to take out a runway, crashes by itself, is decoyed or shot down, leaving the field open long enough to get a strike off? Were I the Syrians, I'd have my flyable attack helicopters in hides (garages, underground parking, factories, etc.), while leaving the hangar queens semicamouflaged to draw fire, especially in conjunction with dummies. The Russians have some very effective maskirovka toys and techniques which could cause lots of ordnance to be dropped on not only useless targets, but flak/SAM traps to boot.

Naturally, Red on Red would offer all manner of delicious possibilities. Too bad there's no way to depict this:

In 1965 air control site Lima 85 in Laos was attacked by three North Vietnamese An-2 COLT STOL aircraft. An American helicopter rose to challenge, and there ensued

a dogfight using handheld weapons. Shades of the Red Baron! The Huey downed one outright, injured a second (ultimately crashed), and chased the other one off. Talking three of what's shown here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-Y9GvglLZw&feature=related

For real excitement, BFC can give us Yellow Rain

(tricothecene toxin) and Blue X (instant knockout)

gas rockets.

slug88,

I think your revised aircraft equivalency table tracks better.

Regards,

John Kettler

"I think I gave the helicopters area fire / medium strike orders, if that helps."

Wow, I've never tried that. When I want the air strike to focus on a vehicle I make it a point target, and of course Heavy. I'll have to give that one a try. If it works, this could open up some interesting possibilities in my next project...

Originally posted by slug88:

For some reason, red forward observers don't have access to call in most airpower. You must use HQ units instead.

Thanks. Got it working now. It's strange that absolutely any HQ, even platoon level, can call in airpower. Having said that, we are fooling the game into allowing airpower for Red, so I guess it's hardly surprising.