Armour penetration and repeated hits.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:

Huh? ISTM it doesn't effect crews of any kind - infantry support weapons or vehicles. They always have full crews regardless of random losses.

I just re checked : support weapons are affected, but not tanks.

I could have sworn tanks were sometimes (rarely) affected, sorry for the confusion :( .

Yankee Dog,

Fair comment, I'm just telling you what the official policy was. The Soviets were, well, flexible when it came to keeping troops in their military specialities. The classic example is how the Soviets came up with loaders when the Red Army fleet went from T-34/76 to T-34/85, of course.

Originally posted by Andreas:

How is the Leo 2A4 'massively' outdone by the Challenger 2 and the latest Abrams in a firefight. In teh context of MBTs?

That's easy - the Leo is German, the Challenger 2 is British and the Abrams is American, and everyone knows the Americans and British won the war.

...Or was it Soviet Russia...?

Dang - there goes my theory :(

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

Considering that they are nearly the same tank.

Well they aren't really, especially if by 'latest' Abrams he means one with the L55 Rheinmetall gun. Also, in terms of target acquisition the latest Abrams ought to be superior - the A4 is an early 80s tank. But it has a very decent gun, decent enough armour, and probably decent enough target acquisition. I don't think it would be a complete push-over (especially not if you go on to compare the latest Abrams to the T55), but there are others on this forum who would know that better. I just don't think that our friend with the impenetrable posting style falls under the 'others' group.

I would rate the new Hunter-Killer system as the best feature of the new Abrams, the new gun us just more overkill. My tanker friends came out of the first Gulf War convinced that the 105mm would have done just as well.

While the 2A4 isn't the same as the new 2A6 (or do they have an even newer one?) it is best of the old Leo 2 line. The U.S. Army basically considers the three to be interchangeable (meaning they consider a Co of each to have the same capabilities). All three were developed along the same lines and ended up with about the same firepower, protection, and mobility, the three main components of a tank. The same cannot be said for the PzIV and the Sherman.

Andreas: When did you move to Paris? Weren't you in Northern Germany?

There's an Abrams with an L55 gun? I thought they were all still on the L44 derivative. The US uses of depleted uranium which gives a slight edge even with a shorter gun, although sintered tungsten is closing that gap.

The L30 (designation, not calibre length) mounted on the Challenger 2 is possibly a more powerful gun than the smoothbores, but the expense of developing advanced ammunition for a fleet that is just over 400 strong is prohibitive. Thus German and US ammunition gives the smoothbores better performance, in terms of mm RHAe.