AI in CM:SF vs. AI in old CMs

Hawk66

Hi,

by accident I've seen the "Combat Mission" series this weekend...don't know, how I've missed them in the last years :-(.

Now, I've the 'problem', that I don't know, with what title I should start. 'Barbarossa to Berlin' or 'CM:SF'.

I like more the modern settings in CM:SF but more important to me is the AI due to I'm a single player in the majority of cases.

So can veteran players give me a hint, if the AI in the old 'Barbarossa' title is significantly better than in CM:SF ? (I've the 1.02 demo)

Thanks for any feedback smile.gif

In CMx1 you have a strat AI and a tact AI.

In CMSF you have worse strat AI, but they are supposed to use the scenario makers guides of approach etc. The TacAI in CMSF is worse than CMx1.

In the end, as a sinlge player experience, CMx1 will probably give you much more mileage, and if you are ever going to play MP, there is no contest, CMx1 is way better.

But, the core issue here if you LIKE the game. Try both games, and decide. Just be aware that CMx1 have endless possibilities, CMSF is very constricted.

To me, it depends on setting of interest, WW2, CMBB. If its modern mid east, CMSF. But keep in mind that CMBB has almost 2000 scenarios scattered around the web. CMSF has not broken 70. The community for CMBB is quite a bit more active right now. If you really have to have modern, I would wait for feedback from 1.05 before dropping money on CMSF.

Finally, I've bought both anthology and CM:SF, because I've paid for both only the standard price for a 'major game' and saved shipping fees.

Will start with CMBB nevertheless and waiting for 1.05.

Nevertheless I've read some reviews from German magazines and they are quite positive even regarding the AI.