HMMWVs and Strikers

Question, while I wait for the 27 of July to get here smile.gif

I noticed from allot of the screen shots that I didn't see and soldier man the turret on the HMMWVs? Maybe they do, but from all the angles that was shown, I didn't see any soldier there. Also can the hatch for the driver be open? I see from the other screen shots of the Striker IFV and see soldiers in the back troop hatch.

JohnO

[ July 19, 2007, 01:36 PM: Message edited by: JohnO ]

Yup, roof mgs can be manned and the hatch opens. and don't forget the recon M707 with its big optics box on the roof too. The soldier has to upbutton to gain advantage of the M707's superior spotting abilities. Same goes for Recon Stryker.

One cool thing about the Humvee in the game is unlike Bradley or Abrams any of your men can hop in and drive off if the team's small enough to fit in. That includes dismounted tankers too!

You were probably looking at HMMVWs with CROWS, a remotely operated weapons platform, like what the stryker has. The gunner is in the back seat. As for the Stryker's driver's hatch, I imagine the crew can be ordered to unbutton (stick their heads out). Its not that common for drivers to unbutton, unless they're reasonable safe from small arms fire. The troops stick their heads out to add firepower and 360 degree visibility to supplement the VC.

US combat tires are runflats I think. That means even after being holed they should be able to stand up to the relatively short distances travelled on a scenario map. That being said, there is an audible difference between the sounds of bullet ricochets and penetrations. When you hear 7.62 penetrations against a Stryker that possibly means the running gear is being shot away - What else would it be? If Stryker takes too much abuse I think I've seen its running speed drastically cut, which means its probably lost a couple wheels. If a Syria taxicab is being peppered by small arms flat tires would be the least of its worries! :rolleyes:

Originally posted by MikeyD:

US combat tires are runflats I think.

Yes they are. Your speed isn't cut down very much but you do lose some handeling. I have been working on Humvees for a few years and have some interesting storys about how much damage they can take and still get you where you need to go. The most interesting is one that was brought to me with 3 broken CV shafts and 2 flat tires they drove it about 10 miles that way over some fairly ruff terain.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

IEDs are practically impossible to spot during a game (...)

As they are in real life situations I guess, no?

It scares the sh*t out of me if I imagine being one of the goodguys out there surrounded by those fanatics with their IED's.

Somewhere on these board there was a link to a YouTube video about an IED attack on a convoy. Scary stuff I tell you. :(

Doesn't the employment of IED's undermine a lot of tactics and planning, because you never know what they enemy comes up with time after time?

:eek: