Syrian 75mm Recoilless Rifle to Powerfull?

Taki

Hi.

Started the TF Narwick Campaign over again. When i started it first i recoginized that the 75mm Recoiles Rifle is extrem Powerfull against Infantrie.

I had a HQ Unit in the House and on 200m i had Fireline to a 75mm Rifle. I shoot nothing happend (what is okay because i only had 2 Guns on Entrenched enemy) but then they openend Fire. 1 Shot 2 Kills. Another of my Squads came in. Same again. Every Shot is doing heavy Casualties to my Troops (wich where in a Stonehouse). If my Bushwackers would do the same work the Scenario would be a Piece of Cake but they dont and this is right i guess.

So i got a Feeling that its doing too well.

What do you think about it?

I can't make any definitive statements about this, but do keep in mind that HEAT, relative other shell types like standard HE, tends to be proportionally more dangerous against infantry inside a structure like a heavy building, since the pentration stream can penetrate substances like stone or reinforced concrete rather easily, and furthermore the wall material itself around the penetration site tends to get converted into secondary fragments which can kill or wound.

So what you're seeing might be more a modeling of the fact that the stone building is not as advantagous cover against HEAT rounds, rather than any uber-ness of the 75mm RR round, per se.

Cheers,

YD

Well it depends. Forexample 40mm M203 HEDP either sends just jet thru wall(s), one has to stand in line of jet to get hit. In some materials it causes 'shotgun'-effect with secondary fragments from wall material.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w22M1DAQ59I&feature=related

In about 4.00-5.00 minutes.

Other way could be to fire thru window, when grenade blows in inner wall and spreads (some) fragments from it's butt into room + possibly causing pressure-damage to persons in room.

EDIT: There's no such thing as german stonehouses in Syria, like Steve said ;)

The SPG-9 is firing what effectively amounts to an RPG-7 projectile on steroids. Of the vanilla RPG-7, David Isby says in WEAPONS AND TACTICS OF THE SOVIET ARMY (Fully Revised Edition, p. 198):

"...the RPG-7 is effective against buildings and fortifications. It can penetrate 23 cm of sandbags,

45.7 cm of reinforced concrete, and 152.4 cm of earth and log bunker. The PG-7 can plough through brick and concrete walls, leaving a five-centimeter hole, but will not knock them down."

This is confirmed by two Marine battalion commanders who fought at Hue, RSVN, cited on page 197 as rating it the most dangerous single weapon

in the 1968 street fighting there. Hue was made of stone, thick stone!

In closing, I would add that a World War II tactic for dealing with infantry in heavy urban cover was to fire a bazooka round into the wall below the firing position, thus removing the shooter and spraying part of said wall into the room for frag effect atop the blast and heat.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ February 13, 2008, 09:55 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

I remember there is an episode of Combat! in which US troops come under fire from inside of a building from German troops using Panzerfausts. It looked pretty much like a fairly powerful horizontal cone of debris was created inside the room and would have been potentially fatal to anybody standing behind and some ways back.

I don't know how close to reality their depiction was...it looked convincing enough....

Funny thing was Saunders makes the comment "They've got themselves a panzerschrek..."

Close, Sgt.!

I believe this is the episode.....

http://www.jodavidsmeyer.com/combat/episodes/Bridgehead.html

That picture i posted of the Marines holding the round – That was from a firing demonstration held for the Brass in Afghanistan a couple years back (you can tell by the camou pattern). Newly bought weapons for the Afghan army. It seems the Marines thought the SPG-9 was a hoot! Had fun, apparently, shooting up old Russian tank hulks. There's nothing quite like it in the U.S. inventory for infantry support. Half recoilless rifle, half rocket launcher. It seems to fall exactly between our own low-end and high-end weapons systems.

Originally posted by Peter Cairns:

God ... I remember watching Combat as a kid,

Those were the days, no great special effects and a black and white TV with a 1 foot screen.

Ah the sixties.....

Peter.

You mean, where no GIs could possibly be KIA, and the German soldiers trained with Imperial Storm Troopers? :D