Running CMx1 under OSX Paralells

I'm running CMx1 (CMBO demo so far) in Paralells on my MacBook Pro and it works pretty much ok. Only problem is that it insist on running it in a 640x480 window. It's not possible to switch this from inside the application because there's no Direct3D available.

I tried to modify the preference file by replacing the numbers 640 and 480 (0280 01E0) with 1280 and 1024 (0500 0400), but I can't get it to accept that. Does anyone know if there's a workaround to get it working with a larger screen?

Originally posted by Blutzeit:

A related Q: Now that it's limited to 640x480, can CMBO be made to run in a window instead of "full screen"?

It did when I ran it on FreeBSD in VMware.

But in that case the virtual machine enforces the window mode, the application thinks it is in full screen mode.

Wine and hence Crossover do not run CMBB and CMAK yet as the video mode probing at program startup fails.

Cedega (ex Winex) does work (BFC variant, but with the no-cd patches). I do not know whether they have an Intel-Mac version yet.

[ January 27, 2007, 05:39 PM: Message edited by: Redwolf ]

I have no interest in Cedega since the only way to buy it is the insecure Worldpay method, which I won't use unless forced to.

Technically, it shouldn't be much of a problem to port a Windows emulator from Unix/Linux to MacOS X. The basic OS is largely compatible and most Unix functionality in OSX comes from FreeBSD, which already runs Wine. You need to either port the 2D graphics stuff from X11 to OSX, or you need to require the user to run X11, which is acceptable. 3D support won't make much trouble since both Unix/Linux and OSX only run OpenGL for 3D hardware.

I think that the Wine people with their partners (Codeweavers) will kill Transgaming/Cedega rather sooner than later. Trandgaming/Cedega for now has some critical additional functionality to support more DirectX and more CD copy protection schemes (among other things, they have a real version of Safedisk integrated into their commercial product). But the CD copy protection schemes in particular are less of a problem now since most games, including almost all wargames have an online/download by option.

Cedega is not an option for Mac, got the following reply from transgaming:

Hello,

For Intel Mac, we offer Cider. Cider is a product for publishers &

developers to aide them in bringing their games over to the Mac in very

short times. Cider-powered games should be hitting Mac in the near

future.

Let us know if you have any other questions or concerns.

--

Kevin Ip

Quality Assurance and Technical Support

www.transgaming.com

This means BF is required to port CMx1 themselves using Cider, which seems unlikely. Well, well, we have to stick with BootCamp until Parallels version 3 is released.