Nightblindness in Syrian SF

I read somewhere a while ago about this but couldn't find the thread again, sorry.

Syrian SF seems totally unable to see Blue units at night. I've sat a team metres away from 3 mounted [in those little jeeps] SF squads and they just hang out then drive off when the AI tells them to. AI is set to all top levels i.e fanatic, crack, +2 leadership, active, assault etc seems to make no difference. Only daylight.??

yup, they're helpless babes at night. Or at least, the infantry is. Some of the tanks and the BMP-2s have fairly good night vision equipment and the Kornet ATGM teams are really good. But infantry is blind, even the best of them.

I'm developing a scenario where Special Forces ambush a mech company at night. The Kornets are fantastic but the AT teams and ordinary squads can't SPOT squat at night even from a few (ie less than 10) metres.

This is probably realistic because the US Army has invested a fortune in equipping it's troops with high tech night equipment and and they exploit this by training to fight at night. They are MUCH better at it than the Syrians.

Once flares are introduced into the game, this should help them out a bit. I for one, am really looking forward to seeing them introduced. I like night battles. And you tend to get better frames per second too.

Originally posted by Paper Tiger:

This is probably realistic because the US Army has invested a fortune in equipping it's troops with high tech night equipment and and they exploit this by training to fight at night. They are MUCH better at it than the Syrians.

Sure Syrians won't see far and in detail without NV but they should see enemy and vehicles out to 50m-100m. Guerilla warfare tactics often favor ambushes done at night.

missinginreality Did you see this issue with any type of Red infantry, or just specific unit?

[ January 17, 2008, 09:11 PM: Message edited by: dima ]

Dima - have been trying a few different things and it appears not to be an issue with night and day but the fact that any unit mounted in those little UAZ jeepy things can't see anything. I can walk a blue unit up to 6 jeeps stacked with red guys and sit them there. Even with an AI plan set to assault they just drive over them even under fire. Only when the AI dismounts do they suddenly notice the blue chaps under their noses. Have tried with Syrian SF and regulars both seem to not sight when mounted. Maybe has something to do with the fact that the "man" unit symbol disappears when they are mounted and it just becomes the single vehicle icon. Whereas when blues are mounted you get the man and vehicle icon together??

Originally posted by missinginreality:

Dima - have been trying a few different things and it appears not to be an issue with night and day but the fact that any unit mounted in those little UAZ jeepy things can't see anything. I can walk a blue unit up to 6 jeeps stacked with red guys and sit them there. Even with an AI plan set to assault they just drive over them even under fire. Only when the AI dismounts do they suddenly notice the blue chaps under their noses. Have tried with Syrian SF and regulars both seem to not sight when mounted. Maybe has something to do with the fact that the "man" unit symbol disappears when they are mounted and it just becomes the single vehicle icon. Whereas when blues are mounted you get the man and vehicle icon together??

Can you send me your mission file (I am on the beta team) and short description how I can reproduce the problem?

My email is dimastep@rogers.com

Thanks!

Just curious. . .

I think I remember reading somewhere that CMSF's new calendar and time of day modeling included stuff like phase of the moon... is this true, and if so has anybody checked to see if there's any difference in spotting at night, new moon vs. full moon?

In a dry desert environment, the difference should actually be quite substantial; a full moon can provide a fair amount of illumination, while new moon nights can be really inky black.

Cheers,

YD

YankeeDog:

Just curious. . .

I think I remember reading somewhere that CMSF's new calendar and time of day modeling included stuff like phase of the moon... is this true, and if so has anybody checked to see if there's any difference in spotting at night, new moon vs. full moon?

Yup, I've tried this. The phases of the moon are accurate and they make a HUGE difference to night spotting. Check a calendar for May-July 2008 and try it out. Clear skies with a full moon mean infantry spots really well at night, certainly to spot targets and exchange fire out to 300m. The map looks quite beautiful in the moonlight too.

Apart from that, I have no idea just how much the different phases affect spotting at night. Because infantry spot much better under full moon conditions, I suspect their ability to spot at night is linked to how much light is available. I haven't much time to do lots of experiments on that though.

The BMPs spotted out to about 400m easy enough but I think they have IR capability.

Complete with dynamic lighting the firefight was gorgeous with rocket trails blazing thru the darkness and impacting with incandescent rage filling the immediate area with flashes of flame.

hehe

I could write a book about my experiences at work.. would fit in the horror/fiction section quite well lol.

On topic. Done another test, full moon but with haze this time, overcast. Spotting was reduced but slightly. Down to about 130m from 150m. RED V RED again.

Hi All,

I experience sighting problems at night with Syrian Special forces as well. Full Moon or not.

While some units can see the enemy others cannot.

To test I placed a unit that could not see directly with one that could. The blind unit was still blind. In fact I moved the unit right on top of the enemy and still the enemy was not seen.

Regards John

Originally posted by z1812:

Hi All,

I experience sighting problems at night with Syrian Special forces as well. Full Moon or not.

While some units can see the enemy others cannot.

To test I placed a unit that could not see directly with one that could. The blind unit was still blind. In fact I moved the unit right on top of the enemy and still the enemy was not seen.

Regards John

John,

Can you send me your mission file (I am on the beta team) and short description how I can reproduce the problem?

My email is dimastep@rogers.com

missinginreality

Thanks, I received your stuff, still investigating

Originally posted by missinginreality:

Yep it is a bit of an issue that and mounted/dismounted. Dima was looking at a example file I sent him over - did you have any joy with that mate?

Jerry, I can't reproduce this issue. My Blue teams can see enemy UAZ's no problem. But I didn't give them any target arcs (should I have)?