Looting weapons and ammo sharing?

Having read back the posts from about two weeks ago it seems this is modelled? I have yet to see it myself but would be nice if it is.

Anyone experienced these events recently? If so how did you achieve it? Obv it involves two squads sharing the same space on the map but is that all there is to it?

BFC comment if you guys are willing?

Do squads share ammo with each other, or is it just that members of an individual squad share ammo?

I haven't seen (or heard of) looting weapons from dead friendlies or enemies. It would be interesting if, when the SAW gunner dies, another squad member picked up the SAW. I doubt that soldiers would ever trade their own weapons for the enemies', however. You generally want to shoot with what you're trained on, and you have no idea how well the enemy has maintained his piece. It might jam, and if it jams, how do you clean it?

I am not sure about seperate squads sharing ammo....I am only going on posts I dug up from about two weeks ago. I think if anything it would be your own forces weapons from the same squad and maybe two seperate squads sharing ammo but I have never seen it happen.

Just some folks have posted saying they did....would be cool if it was able to be done.

Slightly related to the above - I saw an MG team's ammo drop by 250 after one of its casualties was successfully buddy-aided by another squad. It was as if the casualty and any ammo he carried was still considered to be part of the MG team even though the two were physically separated by a large distance but that once he was removed due to buddy aid the ammo was no longer available. Makes me wonder what would have happened if I'd not buddy aided him. Would my MG team have actually benefited by not losing his ammo?

It must be modelled in then.... Just wish I could see it happen for myself.

True, I doubt Coalition forces would use AK's except under extreme circumstances. Maybe pick up a M110 from a fallen buddy tho....

Are non-sniper MOS guys able to use a sniper rifle? Guess they could?

I don't see why they couldn't. If has a trigger, and an end that the bullets come out of, anyone can use it. Using it effectively would be a good question. Hell not everyone in the military can shoot worth a damn.

But I just don't think many soldiers would trade off personal weapons. If all your LBE is packed full of M16 magazines, the process of grabbing a different weapon system would suck. Plus, Smith might night clean his rifle much, whereas Jones does. The only time we picked up AK's were: at the beginning of OIF I, when vehicle crews still had M9's. When we confiscated them. Or when we wanted to take pictures of them for home.

Crew served weapons definitely shouldn't be out of action because of one loss at the gunner position. Losing effectiveness is a very realistic possibility though. Imagine throwing an E-1 driver into the gunner's hatch, under fire, and expecting him to be a top-notch gunner.

Originally posted by Bradley Dick:

Crew served weapons definitely shouldn't be out of action because of one loss at the gunner position.

In general I agree, but the corrollary isn't true: that crew served weapons should always be able to be remanned by other members of the squad.