Tac AI in 1.03 still truly awful (much worse than CM1)

sandy

I am posting having just watched the latest turn of my first PBEM game using 1.03

Situation:

A squad of 9 US veterans approaches a 2 storey building from the south, while a 5 man combatant HQ (how do I know they are an HQ, when I am US?) simultaneously approaches the same building from the north.

Both are heading for a door on the east side of the building, moving across open terrain.

They meet and stack up at the same door.

Then they enter the building; first a couple of US guys use the door, then a bad guy, then some more US, then another bad guy, then more of the US...etc

Nobody fires a shot and they mostly end up in the same room...(a few US have gone to the second floor and a few bad guys are still outside the door)

Both units have been within sight of each other for most of the turn, but both squads have not reacted to the other one.

This wargame is a farce! How anybody can defend the current fuctioning of CMSF as a realistic representation of tactical combat is beyond my understanding. I never saw anything like this rubbish in years of playing CM1 - please do not tell me this is an improvement on CM1 - it is far worse!

Save file available if requested

Is this a bug or a feature - as usual I have no idea?

[ September 08, 2007, 01:16 AM: Message edited by: sandy ]

Maybe because instead of trying to offer constructive criticism, politely, like a good deal of people on here who have found stuff wrong, you come off jerky and arrogant. Maybe that's it?

Is this a bug or a feature, I have no idea, but it is pretty rude, regardless.

Mord.

Apologies if I was rude - that was not my intention.

I was, and remain, very disappointed that my favourite wargame is now worse with the new "improvements".

I have tried offering constructive criticism in the past, but the message I invariabley received from BF and the non-critical supporters of CMSF was that my opinion did not matter.

Originally posted by sandy:

I have tried offering constructive criticism in the past, but the message I invariabley received from BF and the non-critical supporters of CMSF was that my opinion did not matter.

Sandy I think we have been very receptive to constructive criticism and opinions, and Steve has spent a lot of time listening and responding to such threads.

The key is that the criticism needs to be constructive to be helpful, and I havnt seen you providing much of that thus far, as can been seen looking through the recent threads you have started. As such to be honest with you I usually skip over your posts as there are so many to read, but if you do wish to provide constructive and useful feedback we will be more than happy to listen to it.

Dan

Apologies if I was rude - that was not my intention.

I was, and remain, very disappointed that my favourite wargame is now worse with the new "improvements".

No problems man...just relax and show some faith. I think these guys are gonna take care of things. I don't doubt it. Just think about how they dealt with CMX1 and things that came up in those three games. That's what I do. I trust BFC. They've earned it after all this time. And if you are a true fan than it shouldn't be too hard to let them test your loyalty a bit longer...LOL what's a few months after all these years of waiting for this game, when the outcome is gonna kick ass?

If you have problems write them out with less venom and anger, LOL, take a breath before you type. I've listed or commented on a bunch of stuff I've seen wrong or wanted changed, and so far, not once has anybody given me crap about it. It's all in how you say what you say...One doesn't need to be nasty to be critical.

In the mean time, play less urban inclined games. I've stuck mostly to testing stuff, and playing games without lots of buildings and have had quite a lot of fun.

This next patch is looking like a good one, so maybe some of these issues will be addressed...vehicles pathing and commands are looking sweet!

Mord.

[ September 08, 2007, 02:17 AM: Message edited by: Mord ]

Dan

Thanks for your considerate and extremely prompt response.

Perhaps I can try to start this topic again...

(note to Mr Melnibone, I am playing 1.03 to see if any of the problems have been corrected in the latest patch)

"A squad of 9 US veterans approaches a 2 storey building from the south, while a 5 man combatant HQ simultaneously approaches the same building from the north.

Both are heading for a door on the east side of the building, moving across open terrain.

They meet and stack up at the same door.

Then they enter the building; first a couple of US guys use the door, then a bad guy, then some more US, then another bad guy, then more of the US...etc

Nobody fires a shot and they mostly end up in the same room...(a few US have gone to the second floor and a few bad guys are still outside the door)

Both units have been within sight of each other for most of the turn, but both squads have not reacted to the other one."

Is this a bug or a feature? By which I mean is this the way the wargame is supposed to work, or something that I may hope will be fixed in a future patch?

edit

Mord - thanks for your sensible advice also

Sandy I think we have been very receptive to constructive criticism and opinions, and Steve has spent a lot of time listening and responding to such threads.

The key is that the criticism needs to be constructive to be helpful, and I havnt seen you providing much of that thus far, as can been seen looking through the recent threads you have started. As such to be honest with you I usually skip over your posts as there are so many to read, but if you do wish to provide constructive and useful feedback we will be more than happy to listen to it.

Dan

Dan,

I think it would be an error in judgement to dismiss feedback simply because it's emotionally charged. Obviously by the tone of his post he's pretty upset about whatever's going on in the game, and that in itself is an indication of the seriousness of some of the problems he may be experiencing.

Seems like there's enough info in there that would at least indicate something's not working as expected, and maybe should be checked out.

Sure, filter out stuff that isnt useful, but I certainly wouldn't take offense to it smile.gif

Hey, listen to what the guy is saying. If the two units acted as he described, then there IS something seriously wrong with system. If my flight sim landed 20 metres above the runway, that would be wrong. If my bike racing sim allowed me to plough through the armco as if it didn't exist, that would be wrong. Not a feature, not an abstraction, it DESTROYS any semblance of realism and ruins the game. And in a combat game, two squads of enemy soldiers politely queueing and entering through the same door, alternately(!) is clearly BONKERS! Don't shoot the messenger, listen to the message. As I am sure them's that can do something about it are doing. 1.03 vastly improved my game, and I a sure subsequent patches will do the same, but unless the developers get to hear about issues like this, they won't be able to take them into consideration. He has offered to provide the file to replicate the issue, so I think he is being helpful in this case.

Tim

Both units have been within sight of each other for most of the turn, but both squads have not reacted to the other one."

Is this a bug or a feature? By which I mean is this the way the wargame is supposed to work, or something that I may hope will be fixed in a future patch?

edit

Mord - thanks for your sensible advice also

You are welcome.

As far as this topic goes I can't answer for Steve or the guys, but I can say that it has been a major conversation of note the last couple days, in a bunch of threads. I personally think it's something screwy within the engine. A lot of people do. I am hoping they'll look into it.

Hopefully, somebody in the know will chime in. I think there have been like three other threads on this lately.

Mord.

Dan

Thanks for your considerate and extremely prompt response.

Perhaps I can try to start this topic again...

Sandy thanks, and I will pass it on. Please feel free to email me the test file so I can check it out, but I beleive I know what you are referring too and its already on our list. I know that house to house fighting is certainly one area we will be looking at shortly as it is in need of tweaking, we have just had some higher priority issues up to this point. It is also an area we wish to expand on in the future to add considering more detail.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

Sure, filter out stuff that isnt useful, but I certainly wouldn't take offense to it smile.gif

Molotov, my point was actually that most of Sandys posts up to this point have been about bashing us or Steve, with more than one thread started on that very matter. When there are hundreds of posts a day to look at these tend to get filtered out as noise as they dont contain information relevant to what I am looking for (bugs and feature feedback). We are more than happy to respond to useful feedback and will continue to do so, and look forward to more such feedback from Sandy and others!

Dan

Originally posted by KwazyDog:

Molotov, my point was actually that most of Sandys posts up to this point have been about bashing us or Steve, with several threads started on that matter. When there are hundreds of posts a day to look at these tend to get filtered out as noise as they dont contain information relevant to what I am looking for (bugs and feature feedback). We are more than happy to respond to useful feedback and will continue to do so.

Dan

My bad, thought you were referring to this post, which surprised me, because there's some good info here.

Originally posted by molotov_billy:

My bad, thought you were referring to this post, which surprised me, because there's some good info here.

I agree that is contains good info, and it would be a pity if other such info had been missed due to the nature of the posts in between smile.gif As I mentioned I only have so much time to read through all of these posts, and if a poster tends to offers little in useful feedback then its easy to miss it when they do.