WEGO, RT and the blue bar that gets no lovin'...

I think I can speak for most RealTime CM:SF enthusiasts when I say that replay is the thing I miss most about RT. It's just that, for me, the loss of replay is worth it for the benefits of it. Obviously some don't see what the benefits could be, and therefore the lack of replay means RT is a dead option for them. Which is fine... it's why CM has WeGo as an option and always will. If we thought everybody wanted to play RealTime we could have saved ourselves months of programming time and left out WeGo completely :D

Steve

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by Battlefront.com:

This could mean, for example, that you have 59 seconds of fairly laid back computations, but for 1 second there was a flurry of LOS/LOF/Pathing calcs that require a full second to calculate. This means that time compression would not be smooth. I'm not sure if players would really like that, I'm not sure if the code would either. I do know that Charles said in theory time compression is possible, though it might not be practical.

If they won't like, it, they can shove it. I'll take uneven time compression ten times out of ten if the alternative is to stick to 1:1 time with smooth and boring action. After all, that's how it's always been with "time compression" option. Very often the compression depends on available CPU resources so the no-wiener quad-core geek will have much higher max time compression than the guy with an old Athlon.

So in essence you wouldn't try to "skip" anything but run the AI/LOS/Pathfinding etc as fast as possible while updating the GFX when you have time, 5 times a second or whatever.

That being said, I think the REAL issue with RT is the UI and the absolute lack of feedback (reports!) .. Right now you have eye-of-god view but you also have to be all-seeing and all-knowing.

Steve,

Without getting into some sort of WEGO vs. RT flamewar (and I hereby state my preference for the sedate WEGO lifestyle as opposed to the frenetic pace of the RT'ers), I think the fundamental question (HEY! I used "fundamental" but I emphatically did not combine it with "FLAW", which, as we all know would mean a moderator would hit with a full force anti-photon beam, capable of shattering any Space Lobster of Doom carapace, but I digress....) is whether the code MUST be sacrificed to perform calculations on the fly.

To shed the verbosity of the previous paragraph: in order to run a 60 second CMSF turn in 60 seconds of REAL time, does the processor power make a difference in the level of AI?

Cutting down to 1/2 second intervals (say 2 frames in game), if my processor can run 10,000 instructions and yours can only run 1,000 instructions, do I get a better game experience?

If not, what is the use of a faster/better processor? Where do the empty cycles go?

Thanks,

Ken