Asymetric Objectives.....

Now if this was added in CMAK or apatch just ignore what I am about to say as i haven't played much since switching to OSX.

The idea would be that rather than one set of Flags, all be it with Major and Minor objectives and the option of a boguse falg, there would be two sets one for each side.

For example,

A scenario has three hills running east to weat, small in the east and centre, medium in the west. It also has a road running north to south running betwwen the two medium hills.

The attacking allied flags are two minor objectives on the two medium hills, and a major objective on the oad beyone and between them.

The Axis objectives are a minor flag on each of the small hills and amajor objective on the westerly medium hill.

In this scenario the allied player may well deploy heavy to the east in an attempt to take the easterly hill pressure the centre and then press through to his major objective.

The axis player might however deploy almost half his force on the westerly hill leaving the other two less well defended.

This can create a scenario where the bulk of the two forces might not actually engage, and where it might be easier for one side to win than the other, in effect unbalanced scenarios.

A game designer could iron out any disadvantages, but in a QB it would not.

As a result Asymetric objectives would be a "toggle" option, which like FOW players could select or disable as they choose.

The advantage is that although broadly similiar always having identical objectives even with a bogus flag, is unrealistic, and that it would add something to play.

When depolying at the start of a game, you would not only have to focus on your own objectives, but also try to deduce ( hell Guess) your opponents.

In some scenarios it might be fairly obvious, like assault on a town on a featureless open plane, but a meeting engagement in hilly farmland might be far more difficult.

Oh course all this might be overtaken by an entirely new way of doing VP's and objectives, but so far i haven't come across any posts specifically about that.

(Steve if you have posted on it and I've missed it, sorry I promise to pay more attention in future.

Peter.

• 1 year later...

Ooooh, long dead thread rises from the grave! Spooky! :D

A small point. No more 'flags' - literally! No CMx1 style banners on poles in CMSF. There are now colored map portions that can be assigned to 'occupy' 'touch' 'destroy' (I think), and you can also assign whether Red, Blue, both sides or NEITHER side is aware of the objective. Though the designed-in objectives can't be toggled on & off you can toggle the colored markers just so you aren't obliged to stare at that glowing green rectangle during the whole game.