Really looking forward to this

Less than two months from release now. The screenshots/video's/previews look very promising. Even though initially I was not very convinced by the setting for this game (modern fictional), from what I've seen so far it looks like a blast nonetheless.

I think the modern setting may actually be a very welcome change from WWII. It is the fictional Syria scenario that sorta put me off. But if the units/vehicles included are sufficient to recreate combat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Somalia in custom made scenario's, I will be more than happy.

The wait is almost over. Where can I preorder this puppy :)

I do realize CMSF is not intended as a Middle East Combat Construction Kit (MECCK, has a nice ring to it), however if CMSF is moddable enough I am sure the first Iraq mod will pop up soon enough :) I hope so anyway.

I used to be interested in contemporary warfare in the NATO - WARSAW PACT days (being a cold war kid and all), but in the nineties when the cold war was over I did not care much anymore for modern warfare. But in these days with Iraq and Afghanistan my interest is somewhat revived.

[ June 02, 2007, 04:34 AM: Message edited by: panzer mike ]

"It is the fictional Syria scenario that sorta put me off."

You've got to realise even the most heavily researched historical WWII scenario can be considered "fictionalized". In both cases we take accurately researched units using theatre-appropriate equipment on either generically representative or (more rarely) actual terrain maps, then set the wheels in motion. Everything after you hit the 'Go' button is going to only vaguely resemble actual/potential events, no matter what theatre you're playing.

Originally posted by JaguarUSF:

You can change the briefing screens to show custom maps, so you can put maps of Iraq or Afghanistan in the briefings and nobody will know the difference, other than in-game red units saying "Syrian Army" but I bet that could be easily modded.

I remember for the EU version of CMBB there was a program you could run that would replace all the "sanitised" names of the German units (i.e. no SS) with their correct names. It literally searched the entire CMBB program in memory for the relevant text and replaced it. Once it had finished a bell rang to tell you the game had been successfully modded. Something similar for CM:SF would probably do the trick re. the Syrian unit names.

And actually, you can rename any unit in the game in the editor, so the 1st Company could become the Poop Company. However, I think "Syrian Army" is always "Syrian Army" (it's tied to the part of the OOB the unit was taken from) until someone modifies it three minutes after release.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

You've got to realise even the most heavily researched historical WWII scenario can be considered "fictionalized". In both cases we take accurately researched units using theatre-appropriate equipment on either generically representative or (more rarely) actual terrain maps, then set the wheels in motion. Everything after you hit the 'Go' button is going to only vaguely resemble actual/potential events, no matter what theatre you're playing.

Agreed. But WWII actually happened. That gives it a different 'feel'. At least for me it does.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

Agreed. But WWII actually happened. That gives it a different 'feel'. At least for me it does.