Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Get better results from CMSF

Guest Guest

adam1, your probably a bit mixed up in tips brining the game closer to the real thing while at the same time giving tips to make the most gamey "supress the house while my own man wade through their mates fire and take it" tips!? where will that lead to!?

Obviously it's designed to be played that way
honestly when i see opther people playing in video aar´s in realtime, i have to throw up ;)

the game must be designed to "run" and "sell" realtime but not to be played that way. i mean it looks ugly when you see someone doing it :D

problems related to the full minute gaps when it comes to micro management.
however that is true.

Interesting stuff. One question, though --

- Never issue fire orders yourself. There are exceptions to this, to get the AI to fire at a unit is has ID'd but is unwilling to engage with a heavy weapon. However, generally, you get much better results if you let the TacAI do all the fire planning. Target arcs are fine, but when the player starts manually choosing targets you are back to the borg.
How do you use suppressing fire, then? TacAI doesn't area fire on its own.

Well, I don't know what to think of these rules. All I really need to do to keep it real in my head is to play realistically. I try to use good tactics that I think would be realistic.

And the most important way to play, for me, is to try to have as FEW casualties as possible. Try not to to take advantage of sacrifice situations. Don't just rush dudes up in a human wave. Trying to beat the enemy perfectly really creates those tense moments, like rushing your squad across a road during a street battle, or slowly moving your tanks up to enemy trenches.

If my guys to get hit, I ALWAYS make the effort of getting them medical treatment. This also makes for some tense moments... I've had heros run out under a hail of machine gun fire, to give medical treatment to a fallen comrade. Sometimes they die, but that's like Medal of Honor **** happening on my computer screen.

When I follow these two rules, I tend to feel like the whole thing is much more realistic. The bad pathfinding... hey man, that's just fog of war.

Originally posted by Adam1:

If the unit is already ID'd by the firer, and you want to do that, go for it. There is nothing unrealistic about that. But you want to avoid stuff like one unit just magically knowing another unit wants suppression fire on some unknown location. Unless it is a planned assault (and you can do all the planning and area fire that way) the units need to ID their own targets. Since the system is already pretty generous about units spotting one another, it helps.

But units communicate with other units in the US Army. Most combat soldiers carry some form of Individual COMmunications (ICOM, apart from any squad or platoon level RTO.

Besides that, a big first sergeant can boom orders from hundreds of meters away and everyone will hear it.

that's like Medal of Honor **** happening on my computer screen.
Yeah, except it gets downgraded to Silver Star by the Company. Downgraded to a Bronze Star by Battalion, and downgraded to a brigade coin by Brigade. The brigade commander will receive a DSC, though, for fielding such remarkable soldiers. :rolleyes:

Yeah, except it gets downgraded to Silver Star by the Company. Downgraded to a Bronze Star by Battalion, and downgraded to a brigade coin by Brigade. The brigade commander will receive a DSC, though, for fielding such remarkable soldiers.
We put you in for the Medal of Honor but it was downgraded to a field grade article 15. :D

Originally posted by SgtMuhammed:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Yeah, except it gets downgraded to Silver Star by the Company. Downgraded to a Bronze Star by Battalion, and downgraded to a brigade coin by Brigade. The brigade commander will receive a DSC, though, for fielding such remarkable soldiers.

We put you in for the Medal of Honor but it was downgraded to a field grade article 15. :D </font>

I think you ran into the bureaucratic bull**** machine. I don't know how many times I have run into units that impose self declared limits on awards. It gets really hard to motivate troops when they see some POS at brigade get an AAM for pulling CQ while they get a coin for saving a fellow soldier's life. (Don't laugh, it happened to one of my guys.) It just happens that the unit was over their quota for that month.

I have also seen awards denied because they weren't submitted by a high enough rank. Even though the freaking regs say that ANYONE can recommend a soldier for an award as long as they have knowledge of the incident.

I was always amazed at the number of people who don't get the whole concept of morale.

By the way, what is the CAB? I don't think we had that when I was in.

By the way, what is the CAB? I don't think we had that when I was in.
CAB stands for Combat Action Badge, and was created the summer of 2005. It's an equivalent to the Combat Infantry and Combat Medical badges, but is intended for soldiers who are not eligible for those awards. For anyone below the rank of E-6, it is extremely difficult to receive, despite the fact it has the exact same requirements as the CIB.

It gets really hard to motivate troops when they see some POS at brigade get an AAM for pulling CQ while they get a coin for saving a fellow soldier's life. (Don't laugh, it happened to one of my guys.) It just happens that the unit was over their quota for that month.
Yeah, every E-7 and above in my brigade received a bronze star. None of them left the saftey of their respective compounds with the exception of R&R. After that, all E-6's received ARCOMs, and everyone else received AAMs.

In the regulation for the AAM, it states that it cannot be awarded for actions involved in a combat zone, so what-gives, you know?

Once I got away from the conventional Army, it changed dramatically. Both of my soldiers left theatre with what I recommended them for which was a welcome change.

the CAB looks like this:

combataction.bmp

Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

Yeah, every E-7 and above in my brigade received a bronze star.

*#&%! they did the same thing in my unit. Talk about a steaming load of horse shit. After that I realized that awards were worth about as much as the materials they made of.

Originally posted by Normal Dude:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Clavicula_Nox:

Yeah, every E-7 and above in my brigade received a bronze star.

*#&%! they did the same thing in my unit. Talk about a steaming load of horse ****. After that I realized that awards were worth about as much as the materials they made of. </font>

I totally understand this, but really, should you care? Your merits don't depend on what hangs on your chest and all those who are worth concerning yourself with know it too.

Of course it doesn't matter, and the awards aren't the issue. The issue is the lack of integrity shown by senior leadership, leadership that in many cases had little to nothing to do with the success of the mission.

The only ones who know who deserves what are the guys that were there. The whole process of submitting awards in the military is pretty damn lame.

I'm a veteran myself and in my opinion, you guys are heros. This generation is every bit as great as any before it.

There is a documentary (can't remember name) that detailed the battle of Al Khafji in Saudi Arabia, 1991, where Saddams armored forces moved into the town. A small group of recon guys stayed in the town. They ended up calling in clusterbomb airstrikes on their own positions, which were overrun with Iraqis. After "a thousand thunder claps" went off right over their heads, the men in the recon squad put in their seargent or whatever rank he was (he was the leader) for the Silver Star. The men won't talk about why they put him in for it, but they all agree that he deserved it. He was denied. Later on, his men gave him one on their own, which he now cherishes more than any medal "the man" could have given him.

Have you noticed that such lack of integrity (or competence, or professionalism, or even good character) is completely absent from leadership everywhere?

A fairly “generalist“ statement don’t you think?

Perhaps its happening in sections of the US military but I think you might find that others that are currently there (or have just started to leave - in our case) aren’t being showered with gongs for being in Iraq.

Anyway to try and steer this back on topic, I’d also recommend that you add “turn the information icons off“ to your list.

Lastly I’d take issue with the statement

- Play real time. Obviously it's designed to be played that way, and there are all kinds of problems related to the full minute gaps when it comes to micro management.

Personally I find giving units orders and then playing WEGO with the delay is a good replication of the delays (or “friction”) if you like that happens between your issuing orders and your subordinates executing them.

If I’m the BG or CT commander I can’t possibly tell 2nd squad, 3rd PL to do things moment to moment but I can issue FRAGO’s to their PL commander once I get feedback via SITREP‘s etc.

[ June 02, 2008, 08:17 PM: Message edited by: gibsonm ]

I’m saying why use the term “everywhere” if all you are talking about is the US military.

I’m just saying “everywhere” encompasses a lot more that just the US military or indeed US society as a whole.

As for turning the icons off, I’m not sure how having icons floating around in the sky is somehow “true to life“. smile.gif