The Unit: Terrific insights and scenario possibilities

The Unit last night was about a snatch mission in Afghanistan which became something rather more. Team hightailed it to a small logistic bare base ( a bunch of ISO containers, w logies protected by security platoon composed of higher formation's unwanteds), pursued by several truckloads of muj. Hotheads in security platoon allow themselves to be suckered by a withdrawal which is really a hasty ambush, losing the reaction force and the .50 armed Hummer, the heaviest weapon at the base. There follows an effort to restore discipline, get the female log LT to step up and really command, and organize the position to withstand major attack, with Delta instrumental in sorting out the defenses, organizing fire positions, putting spine in the largely hapless security troops, etc.

Of particular interest was the use of smoke and deception to retrieve sniper weapons from a dead Hummer, ultimately allowing for a jaw dropping demonstration of precision sniper fire against the

now captured .50 equipped Hummer. With Barrett, M24? and some sort of scoped M16/M4, aided by a spotter, the team took out two successive gunners, wrecked the .50's ammo box and put several shots right through the radiator grille openings, disabling the vehicle.

The combat scenes were intense, with considerable attention devoted to proper tactics for withdrawal under pressure to prepared positions, manning techniques as a function of threat level, protecting location of the SAW from premature location, proper siting of wire, tactical surprise, the role of NCOs.

From a game standpoint, not only did you have the mix of poor quality security troops plus elite Delta, against highly competent muj (curiously sans RPGs), but a fairly low combat rating, high morale American HQ. Flares, wire, prisoner escape, worklight arrays, no NVGs, and no comms (sunspot activity) made for an exciting night.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ March 01, 2007, 12:09 AM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Only thing is that there wouldnt be SFOD-D in the first module if at all. Second I couldnt see operators without NVG, Flir, or thermal sighting equipment. SOPMOD is SOP on an M4A1. CSM Haney has been known to take liberties as far as tactics go though so I guess it would make for good TV, but I stopped watching that show the first time I saw it when one of the "elite" team members was looking straight ahead into the darkness instead of using his peripheral vision which every recruit learns in LNC.

Sixxkiller,

You got me! I meant to write this, but forgot to mention that even Delta had no NVGs, which I thought was distinctly odd. No problem with the supply types not having them, but again, why not the security platoon? Isn't this the Army that "owns the night" if you believe the PR? Hard to own it with WW II tech! I take your point on what'll be in the initial game release, but was frankly intrigued by an exciting scenario possibility.

I haven't read Haney's book, but imagine that he isn't exactly going to give away the actual Delta tactics. In fact, if the military follows its usual pattern, there'll be someone assigned precisely to make sure nothing hot makes it in. This is what was done in The Hunt for Red October, for example.

Regards,

John Kettler

[ March 02, 2007, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

Well John you are not correct. CSM Hanley didnt have any oversight when he wrote his book. I didnt mean to imply he wasnt a good operator because he was. But its kind of like you working with Battlefront on CM:SF and releasing the game on the net a month before release, not good for BFC.

Originally posted by John Kettler:

Sixxkiller,

You got me! I meant to write this, but forgot to mention that even Delta had no NVGs, which I thought was distinctly odd. No problem with the supply types not having them, but again, why not the security platoon? Isn't this the Army that "owns the night" if you believe the PR? Hard to own it with WW II tech! I take your point on what'll be in the initial game release, but was frankly excited by an exciting scenario possibility.

I haven't read Haney's book, but imagine that he isn't exactly going to give away the actual Delta tactics. In fact, if the military follows its usual pattern, there'll be someone assigned precisely to make sure nothing hot makes it in. This is what was done in The Hunt for Red October, for example.

Regards,

John Kettler

Sixxkiller,

Delta has no prepublication review requirements for current or former members writing about Delta? Given the sensitivity of what Delta does, and has done, I'm amazed, and that's without taking into account all the clearances held by those in/formerly in Delta.

Regards,

John Kettler

A few books have been written but never by an insider. Haney broke an unwritten rule, the Army really cant censor you after you leave unless its a matter of national security but JSOC kinda views this as a no no obviously. You wont see him chilling out having a beer with anyone in his or anyother squadron after this. Truthfully I havent even read the book so no idea what tactics he describes, but I can tell he doesnt pay attention to details from that one episode of his show I saw. Maybe just retirement laziness. smile.gif

Its TV show!!!! I'm sure they have some former military types as technical advisors, but damn its still a TV show...maybe they forgot about the night vision stuff.

I think that if this game isnt released real soon, some of you guys will be talking about insurgents from Altair Four and monsters from the ID attacking US troops. :D

Nidan1,

I think the use of NVGs would be frowned upon for the same reasons that closed face helmets are in film and TV--can't see the faces of the actors. Certainly, there have been plenty of films and shows

where night vision gear has been used, and it tends to depersonalize those wearing it. The Borg effect, if you will, which lasts until the device is taken off, flipped up, or what have you.

Regards,

John Kettler

Ok, just saw the show (Ya, DVR).

Several issues jump out at me.

1. The Team should have NVGs in their packs, but its cooler when they don't..more story drama.

2. A platoon security detachement may not have the best equipment around.

3. Show a perfectly valid situation where the Syrians could plan and execute against US forces where we don't hold every advantage.

#3 is the key to this, the enemy gets a vote and the US forces may be on the receiving end of that tactical/strategic move. It was a fairly realistic scenario where a small US outpost/log base is hit with a superior force....and it would be a fun scenario to play out in CM:SF.