Some more ratings average 69% so far

Originally posted by Cid250:

Don't expect many players of the real-time "branch" to come here at CMSF... because this game sucks at real time due to the complexity of the game (real-time gamers hate complexity). This game can not appeal to them... there are much better options for Real Time in the market... CMSF will be a looser.

I was a WEGO believer, now I play real-time.

Real-Time give you more flexibility and more adaptability. When the situation is to complex, you can always pause the game to issue your orders.

Basically, Real-Time is like WEGO, except you determine the turn length.

Real-Time with the capacity to replay the last 30-15 seconds of the game would be awesome but right now, I like the system.

For the blue bar... Steve already gave a good explanation. "Blue Bar" will be to slow. Instead of watching a blue bar, I prefer to see some actions.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I really have to agree with Cid on this.

I absolutely loved the previous CM games and is by far my most played wargames. Please know that I'm in no way bashing CMSF, I'm just concerned over changes to my most beloved wargame series.

However, can anybody please tell me why change a system that has served so well in the past? I mean, really, WEGO was great and CMSF obviously took a diffrent direction. But why?

Other things that really made me just.. I guess sad is the right word, but why take out a really cool feature like buying your force with points or random map generation? These are what kept me playing the previous CM games for so long.

The funny thing is too, and this is truely no lie but this installment of CM was easily my most anticipated. I absolutely loved the idea of taking a break from WWII (yes I was getting a little tired of it) and I'm all into the modern era setting.

I just don't understand the designer(s) responsible for deciding to:

-Break off from WEGO even though it hasn't failed them yet and served so well in the past.

-Remove the ability to purchase your force using points.

-Remove random map generation.

-Completely redo the control scheme, what's with no more right mouse menu?? WHY???

After trying the demo, scratching my head, and reading reviews, this is the first CM game I haven't purchased. I'm not saying this to sound like I'm the only customer on the planet, but as a long time fan of CM, this is why I didn't buy this (neither did my brother and nephew who are both also CM fans). The fun multiplayer games we have just can't be done with this system.

I mean if it ain't broke.... why did you change core elements that worked so well?

In my opinion, Shock Force shouldn't even carry the Combat Mission name. A little harsh and I'm sorry but this is not Combat Mission, it's.. something else.

Dear KhanIndustries

I 100% agree with you and have asked BF/Steve the same questions more than once. I am still waiting for a sensible answer.

All criticism, whether the many mediocre reviews (too many to list) or the grief of old CM fans posting here, are met with the same response (or none).

Steve's response is that you and I "don't get it" and need to look for another game.

This is because the issues you list:

Break off from WEGO even though it hasn't failed them yet and served so well in the past.

-Remove the ability to purchase your force using points.

-Remove random map generation.

-Completely redo the control scheme, what's with no more right mouse menu?? WHY???

are not bugs (like the dreadful AI, pathfinding and LOS)

but features of the "improvements" in the engine.

Actually these are all mistakes in design, but nobody at BF seems able to perceive this, nor wishes to be told this.

CMSF Combat Mission; Shameful Failure

I pre-ordered, more fool me.

Nobody wants to see Battlefront fail. The consumer is a fickle beast, especially one as geeked out as the elitist grog gamer (I'm one of em).

The biggest mistake BF could ever have made though was to outright state that CMx1 was dead, and CMx2 is the way of the future. I can't see the logic of it. Everything comes back. Business, markets, trends are cyclic.

Referring to the beloved car metaphors again, the Mustang went through several changes, some of them less popular than others, but guess what! It's back in all it's glory, looking almost like it did 30 plus years ago as it were in its zenith, but as a fully modern and technologically developed vehicle.

Saying the Mustang line will never return is just plain foolish in the business world, especially if you've just delivered the Ford Probe GT onto the market (and many people liked those... for awhile). Thank goodness Ford never got rid of its flagship.

Saying never is never a good idea.

Cheers!

Leto

[ August 16, 2007, 04:40 PM: Message edited by: [hirr]Leto ]

There are actually some acknowledged bugs in your list of "not bug" areas, sandy. I am definitely willing to point out issues in the game and partake in discussions of how cool it would be if they were all fixed, but your post isn't really giving credit where credit is due.

I'd take a second look around the boards, get a feel for what BFC plans on fixing, and then see if you still feel the same way. I was pretty darned dismayed when I fired up my copy, to be honest, but my time here on this forum has led me to believe that the real and serious problems are known and will be fixed.

Just give it a little while. Wait through a few patches, read BFC's responses.

Leto

Exactly!

Why do I keep posting on this when I have been told by Steve to find another game?

I don't want to find another game, and I want BF to prosper and to make more great games like CM1

You have to admit a design mistake, before you can correct it (for the WW2 version, please).

Just implement proper (or improved, ie varible increment) WEGO, fix QBs, fix all the bugs and I will be a happy paying customer buying all the modules BF releases as fast as they appear.

Keep on ignoring me, with a focus on real time, no easy facility to choose units, and buggy beta releases, and I will not.

That is the message I am trying to get across

But nobody seems to be listening...

Phillip C

Thanks for your positive post.

But I am confused - if Steve had told me that QBs and WEGO would be fixed, then I have no other critical design issues...these are not bugs, these are design decisions that COULD be fixed IF there was a WILL to do so.

But every post I have seen by Steve has igored my requests in these areas.

Originally posted by sandy:

Leto

Exactly!

Why do I keep posting on this when I have been told by Steve to find another game?

I don't want to find another game, and I want BF to prosper and to make more great games like CM1

You have to admit a design mistake, before you can correct it (for the WW2 version, please).

Just implement proper (or improved, ie varible increment) WEGO, fix QBs, fix all the bugs and I will be a happy paying customer buying all the modules BF releases as fast as they appear.

Keep on ignoring me, with a focus on real time, no easy facility to choose units, and buggy beta releases, and I will not.

That is the message I am trying to get across

But nobody seems to be listening...

But that is exactly it. Go buy a Camaro. Perhaps a Crossfire. Maybe even an SUV.

Probe GT's are not for you. But you don't wish Ford to go bankrupt just because they moved their platform.

For all we know, BF's interpretation of this metaphor is that they have a sleek new euro sport smart car that will revolutionize the automobile market. Looks sharp, drives sharp, does not cost a whole pile to fuel it, but guess what, the technology only allows you to drive it 200km's and you can only haul your dog along for the ride cause its just too small to fit anyone else, especially another fat old wargamer with fumbly fingers and an aversion to all those new buttons and features.

The money we make by selling these little hybrids will fund future research for the total package automotive driving experience... twice the range, twice the fuel economy, twice the looks and three times the performance.

In the meantime, I won't be driving a smart car, but wish them well. I'll buy it when it does what it says it can do and sates my consumer palette.

Cheers!

Leto