I wish BFC great success.....

RCHRD

but I cannot buy this game. It's purpose is to simulate the combat that ensues from an aggressive invasion, unilaterally, and without just cause. This is a real possibility. 99% of the quick battles played will simulate the war against the Iraqi insurgency. This is abhorrent to me. I am deeply interested in the evolution of CM, a game I love. I'm not finding fault with BFC for their decision, it's just that I cannot support the reality that it represents, in any way. No hard feelings. Flame away.

Originally posted by Heil3451:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RCHRD:

[QB] but I cannot buy this game. It's purpose is to simulate the combat that ensues from an aggressive invasion, unilaterally, and without just cause. [/qb

I'd wager you played CMBB in spite of this. </font>

Originally posted by RCHRD:

but I cannot buy this game. It's purpose is to simulate the combat that ensues from an aggressive invasion, unilaterally, and without just cause. This is a real possibility. 99% of the quick battles played will simulate the war against the Iraqi insurgency. This is abhorrent to me. I am deeply interested in the evolution of CM, a game I love. I'm not finding fault with BFC for their decision, it's just that I cannot support the reality that it represents, in any way. No hard feelings. Flame away.

So you're basing your decision on whether or not to buy this game on your assumption of how people other than you will play it? Couldn't you just play it the way it's intended, all warm, fuzzy and multilateral?

It perplexes me, how people cannot distinguish between reality and beautiful, pixellated destruction.

And to paraphrase what has already been said--if anyone continues to have issues differentiating between a computer game and real life and struggles with the ethical repurcussions of waging unjust war, might I suggest one watch the recent BBC documentary series on Auschwitz before you choose the Axis side in your next QB?

That documentary series spoke far more directly to my heart than any documentary or op-ed piece on the Iraq war, yet I quite consistently play both sides in all CM games without compunction and free of any inner, raging debate on the metaphysical and ethical ramifications of ushering my little Fallschimjaeger across the frozen steppe. But then again, that strikes me as normal.

Looking forward to CM:SF.

Am sick of people saying that they don't like the scenario, almost as much as I am sick of people attacking others for not liking the scenario... and pretty soon I'll be sick of people attacking people for attacking people who don't like the scenario... etc smile.gif

Okay, I'm just sick of people. I don't like to get bogged down in details. smile.gif

When I was a sales clerk at Games N Gadgets (original ebgames) one Vietnam vet unloaded all over me for the early MicroProse Conflict Vietnam (or whatever it was called) back in the '80s. He didn't mind the WWII games, that was fine, but people died in Vietnam! I understood what he meant, the war in Vietnam was real to him whereas WWII wasn't. (His wife was mortified and kept trying to get him to calm down.) Some topics are sensitive to some people. No big deal, but those who are damning the games just because they don't like it are annoying.

Hey, am I being annoying yet? :cool:

And who can I apologize for? Can I apologize for all the WWII enthusiasts who aren't complaining?

It is amazing how many people love to play the Germans and then cry foul about the current setting. Really odd. I'm always disheartened to see how little these doubters read of the posts here. Either that or they did and they think I am a liar. Reason being that everything I have said, in clear and precise language, contradicts everything RCHRD feels CM:SF is going to be about. It's as if I wrote "yellow, pink, red, green, blue, and orange" and he read "4, 8, 15, 16, 23, and 42". Kinda hard to understand what the game is about if one doesn't have good reading comprehension :(

Steve

It's purpose is to simulate the combat that ensues from an aggressive invasion, unilaterally, and without just cause. This is a real possibility. 99% of the quick battles played will simulate the war against the Iraqi insurgency. This is abhorrent to me.

{snip}

, it's just that I cannot support the reality that it represents, in any way. No hard feelings. Flame away.

:rolleyes:

It's purpose is to simulate the combat that ensues from an aggressive invasion, unilaterally, and without just cause. This is a real possibility. 99% of the quick battles played will simulate the war against the Iraqi insurgency. This is abhorrent to me.

Twords the end of medic school when I was in an all male class, the sergaent talked about something known as "chronic vaginitis" ahem...

Because we play CM1/Germany does it mean we want to rule the world/europe and start death camps. CM2 is modeling modern warfare and BFC decided to choose this setting to model. This is a game and should be treated as such, I have no problems fragging demons/nazis/americans/elves/whatever in the various games I play. So what is the problem with this setting because in the future we will probably not see the type of world wars we saw pre 1950s? Most future wars will probably be low intensity conflicts with one side possessing much great materials than the other.

What concerns me most about CM2, is that if it is able to achieve reality while still remaining fun to play.

What concerns me most about CM2, is that if it is able to achieve reality while still remaining fun to play.
Hey, it concerns us too :D We wondered the same thing with each CMx1 release as well. It's what keeps us on our toes.

Complacency in a fundamental area such as this is the kiss of death. If we're concious of the issues then we're more likely to design features that work around the problem spots even when we don't realize we are. One can be confident and still have a humble self image all at the same time smile.gif

Steve