Problem when making arty area target

SlowMotion

Here is something that happens very often when making artillery calls:

-you select Area Target

-click to map to select center of the target

then you should click second time to set target size.

Now that map scrolling is done using mouse you easily make some wrong mouse click or click in place to which there's no LOS. Such place is shown here:

arty_problem_1.gif

If I click in this place, this "Set Target Size" thing seems to get confused.

If I move my mouse pointer to another place within LOS and click, target size is NOT set.

Instead the screen shows:

arty_problem_2.gif

And I have to restart the whole arty target.

Does it work the same way for others?

Is there something that can be done so I can finish the arty target or is this a bug?

I am not sure if I understood correctly what you mean. But I had issues with area target lately myself: choosing the center of an area target (spotter has LOS to this point) and dragging the circle for the area and finishing it by clicking on a point with no LOS for the spotter results in the area target not being saved.

I think this is a bug as the spotter just needs LOS to the center of the target.

No, in the game the spotter needs LOS to the centre point and the radius point you choose to designate.

You could argue that isn't realistic (and I could happily argue both sides of that particular coin), or you could just get over it and get on with the game.

Your call.

Jon

Yep. For the most part, when this has happened, I have been able to reposition the center point to still cover what I have needed. It doesn't matter all that much anyway, those bombs/mortars aren't gonna fall on a pin head...a couple 10 meters left or right should still take care of the unlucky MFs on the receiving end.

Mord.

Hi,

I have the same problem, this is not something serious because one can cancel the command and start again from the very beginning, but this is still a bit annoying.

To me this is a minor bug, because you have a screen telling you to click again to select a second point, and this is not working.

SloMo and Magomar; yes, I know what you are talking about, and I described it in my post. You can view it as a bug, or you can view it as a realistic restriction. Either way it is what it is, the reason it occurs is well known, and there is an easy workaround.

Complain, or deal.

Your call.

Originally posted by SlowMotion:

I don't know if there's a problem with the center point, but there is when setting the radius. Zwobot described it well.

There's not a problem with the center point. I can't describe what I am trying to say correctly. I know what I mean in my head though. LOL.

Anyways Jon is right. There are work arounds. I don't think it's a bug.

Mord.

Originally posted by Jon Sowden:

SloMo and Magomar; yes, I know what you are talking about, and I described it in my post. You can view it as a bug, or you can view it as a realistic restriction. Either way it is what it is, the reason it occurs is well known, and there is an easy workaround.

Complain, or deal.

Your call.

Are you sure you know what we are talking about? It is perfectly clear that both points (to indicate center and radius respectively) require LOS, OK, we are not discussing that restriction here.

What SloMo and myself are telling is that if one accidentally tries to select the radius by clicking to a point without LOS, then one gets a message saying "click again", but it doesn't work, there is no way to select a new point with LOS, and one has to cancel the order and start again from the beginning. So i still think this is a bug

Ahhh...I gotchya. Yeah, you have to cancel out of the arty order and start over instead of being able to reset the radius with a different click. Yeah, I'd say that's a problem, kinda like when you couldn't adjust.

Mord

LOL yeah...but the point is the button won't click, when it says click here. It's like it's frozen. It's not that big a deal, canceling out and starting over, but the function is busted. It might have happened when they tweaked the adjust fire bug...unless it was already there.

Still, it's an easy thing to deal with.

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

but the point is the button won't click, when it says click here. It's like it's frozen. It's not that big a deal, canceling out and starting over, but the function is busted.

Yes, this is the point. It's not a huge thing, but still I very much doubt it is supposed to work this way.

I do not write to bug threads like this because I see every issue as something I can't stand. I do it because there is supposed to be several patches to this game in the future and several games using this CMx2 engine. So once even little things like this get fixed at some point, playability of CMx2 games should increase. I think there's lots of promise in the engine, but currently there are still smaller and bigger things that do not work as they were meant to be.

Originally posted by Jon Sowden:

No, in the game the spotter needs LOS to the centre point and the radius point you choose to designate.

You could argue that isn't realistic (and I could happily argue both sides of that particular coin), or you could just get over it and get on with the game.

Your call.

Jon

hi,

just a question on how realistic it is, i mean the target "circle". are area targets targeted in cuircls??? i have some "experience" with modern german arty, served in an armoured artillery batallion(m109 and PzH2000). we never targeted areas in circles, rather in squares or better recktangles(spelled right?) we got coordinates, the spread of targets in that fire area and the axis of the target, eg. enemy arty, coord Nxxxxxx Exxxxxx 200mx100m 280degrees..... no circles.... our forward observers didnt need two points to gives us coords..... as i said , dont know how other armies work in that way, but would be interesting for me to know

best regards

Abu

I've nearly always used circles, though in principle squares and rectangles are an option. Circles are easier because - as an FO - you only need to give the gird of the centre point, and possibly a diameter if the default 70m isn't appropriate. Squares and rectangles require an attitude and dimensions in addition to the centrepoint. Circular may well 'waste' rounds, but that's the nature of artillery anyway, and the fall-of-shot footprint needs to take into account uncertainty about the target's dimensions.

In terms of game interface I think limiting CMSF to circles, lines, and points, is ok.

The only changes I might suggest would be to have a minimum size for the circle (approx 35m radius for 105mm rounds - below that use 'Point Target' aka 'converge') and increase the radius in steps of say 10m, rather than having it infinitely variable. Also a similar kind of limitation is applicable to linear targets.

PzH2000 is a nice bit of kit smile.gif Lucky you.

Jon

If you've got a dodgy mouse button like me that double clicks by accident half the time, I can tell you artillery plotting is a nightmare! I have to start over so many times because of accidentally selecting two or more options instead of one. If BFC really want to improve playability, they should add some sort of "Back" option for all artillery plotting steps. That would solve this problem and also the more general UI issue of how do you correct things you've done wrong due to dodgy mouse buttons.