Maximum battle size?

Hi,

I know this has been asked many times before, by me for a start smile.gif , but as CMSF nears completion Steve and his chums will have a better idea of what the limits are to be. By now they should know ;) .

So… are there any hard coded limits on battle size? What interests me most is the number of forces on both sides but it will also be interesting to see what the final map size limit is to be.

I confess that I like big battles. I understand that the detail available with CMSF is greater so many will enjoy smaller, more detailed battles, I include myself in this. The infantry modelling is more detailed. But even with all reservations I would still be very interested to know the maximum force size and some idea of what one of the developers has seen run on a given machine.

Smaller battles, in fact some very small battles, played real time, then some larger battles played in traditional CM simultaneous resolution will be fun.

Looking forward to 12th June smile.gif .

All good fun,

All the best,

Kip.

Well, since I was asked for a bone in another thread, I will give this one.

Max Map Size 2114 meters by 2114 meters

Max UNit Size I had a FULL division of Syrian tanks attacking 4 Companies of Abrams. It started to slow down when so many vehicles started on fire, but I do not have the latest and greatest, I have a AMD 4600, with an Nvidia 7800 video card.

Rune

Rune, hi,

Thanks for the info… sounds great smile.gif .

Even on first outing it will be in the same ballpark as CMX1 given the onward march of computer power.

I hugely look forward to playing some very small, very detailed infantry battles in real time taking full advantage of everything CMX2 offers. But now and again I will want to try my hand at some of my old style huge, multi-battalion games.

This may or may not be quite possible on first outing but I am now confident it will be later in CMX2 as the hardware catches up with the new generation game.

Looking forward to CMSF,

All the best,

Kip.

Your computer will break down before you reach any sort of max limit.

This is a game that in in the coming years as PC power increases so will the games ability to handle larger scenarios.

But the game is not designed for massive scenarios and really works and plays better if you keep it small.

However, the ability is there to create some very large scenarios.

But I suspect alot of machines will not be able to handle them.

The game throws alot of polygons onto the screen all at once in some cases.

@rudel

I see. That's excellent news! Again CMx2 is programmed that way, that it will grow with CPU/GPU-power.

Do you think is the preference for smaller battles only true for realtime-mode, which makes absolutely sense to me without further explanation, or do you think is it also true for the classical CM WEGO/PBEM mode?

Originally posted by Steiner14:

@rudel

I see. That's excellent news! Again CMx2 is programmed that way, that it will grow with CPU/GPU-power.

Do you think is the preference for smaller battles only true for realtime-mode, which makes absolutely sense to me without further explanation, or do you think is it also true for the classical CM WEGO/PBEM mode?

The preference is up to the player.

I never liked large battle in CM 1 or any other wargame.

Thats just me.

But the game is intended to simulate smaller battles.

But if the player likes larger battles then by all means they can create them and share them with other players.

As far as we-go

I barely have touched it.

Real-Time is my prefereed way to play.

It play a whole lot faster and keeps the action going.

As you can pause the game to issue order so it works well with small and medium sized battles.

Again, it is player preference. But I think alot of die hard CM players will be suprised at just how well real time works and discover that is the preferred way to play.