Having to use doors too much like hard work?

Hi,

I am a huge fan of 1:1 and the more detailed model, with one exception… doors ;) .

Having to be careful to find the doors on behalf of ones troops is too time consuming and spoils the flow of the game, the immersion. If you do not first find or identify the doors for your troops you risk them being wiped out as they go for a door you have not spotted first… by running round a building for example, and then getting mowed down. This is all too time consuming.

If troops moved through opaque walls as in CMX1, but not solid walls…these being blocked walls you have to breach… the game would speed up a lot.

The system for entering and leaving building should be the same as in CMBB with some being block and having to be breached in CMX2.

Particularly with RT… game should flow…. troops only being able to use doors stops this flow as you struggle to identify each door before giving your orders to move or risk mass slaughter of your troops if the door is not where you hoped it would be.

Great game though,

All the best,

Kip.

Have to agree with Kip.

A better way to visualize doors would be desirable.

Example: when a movement order is selected and the cursor is moved over a house, the doors and interior walls are highlighted.

Must be a pain to program, but perhaps it is not impossible and would help a lot!

Best regards,

Thomm

Part of me agrees...and part of me thinks, that's real life...approaching a building with the intent to enter in a fire fight situation is dangerous...best to know where you are headed and how you are going to enter.

Now, if your dudes were getting wailed because they weren't using a door (like the breaching problem) that'd be another situation altogether.

Unless I am missing something. I may be, I haven't played a whole lot of Urban scenarios yet.

Mord.

Originally posted by Mord:

Part of me agrees...and part of me thinks, that's real life...approaching a building with the intent to enter in a fire fight situation is dangerous...best to know where you are headed and how you are going to enter.

Sure ... the problem is that the information is readily available to the player because there is no terrain fog-of-war. It is just tedious to obtain, because the player has to scroll and turn the camera until (s)he identifies the available doors.

Giving more visual aid to the player would reduce the need to fumble around with the camera and lead to smoother gameplay = more fun.

Best regards,

Thomm

i like how the game handles doors, its a pain sometimes but now with smal scale/scope representation it would look like a joke when troops "go" through walls like magic david did in china.

the only problem i have are my man overshooting doors or bunching up in front of a door instad of directly runing into the house.

Hi,

OK this really is very hard work ;) .

In some scenarios I can spend half my time looking for doors. In village scenarios, with some of the most realistic maps, in fact some stunning maps, where there is no particular pattern to the buildings… looking for door is a nightmare of wasted time.

If I just order my troops into a house without first having identified where the door is I risk total slaughter. They may run round to the enemy side of the house to enter the door if that is the only door.

What is needed is a wall system like CMBB… with most being such that we can move through but with some needing the now more detailed and fun beaching/blast command.

Remember one normally sees the battlefield from only one direction. So how is one expected to identify where all the doors are when looking at the battlefield from 45 degrees form just one direction… it is non starter ;) .

Great game….love it… but doors are nightmare smile.gif .

A detail too far ;) .

All the best,

Kip.

PS. I really do try to play with minimum causalities… as realistically as possible so I have know where the doors are… the TacAI is not as bright as real squad leader remember that … you cannot rely on him to use his initiative to the same degree as real soldiers.

Issuing a move command onto a building should highlight the door through the building model so that you don't have to pan and rotate until you find it. Either that, or some sort of "highlight doors" key that a player can press at any time to see doors through buildings. Think of diablo, if you've ever played it - the function that highlighted selectable objects.

Also - wouldn't allowing soldiers to enter through windows solve a lot of this? How about being able to select what entrance you go through, just like you have the ability to select what floor to go to?

How about a path preview that would show exactly where your troops are going to enter the building?

All kinds of solutions to the problem. The current way of doing things is certainly tedious and time consuming.

Hi,

OK there is solution to all this… have a door on each side of the ground floor of every building…problem solved smile.gif .

If you go to page 128 of the manual it explains how do this. If I have got this right… I am shocked that the editor is so powerful… it can even take away interior walls.

Stunned… problem gone…

All the best,

Kip.

Yeah but units will leave through the wrong doors. I am playing Ambush in Al-Fubar PBEM, and in the first turn I ordered my sniper and RPG team in the mosque to leave through the back door. They promptly left through the front door and strolled into the sights of an M240. Not only that but they went into the street, when there was ample room to go around the mosque behind the cover of walls.

I just don't get why they would have done that. They had clear movement orders to go out back and, using buildings as cover, set up in a nearby building.