Acquiring Dropped Weapons - 1.05?

Hi,

In the latest scenario I played, a Stryker Infantry squad was on a rooftop and lost both its M249 gunners to enemy fire. No-one picked up the dropped M249s. Given that this is the main firepower of the squad, I would have thought someone would have realized that the M249s weren't firing anymore and moved a few feet to acquire them from their fallen comrades.

If this is not currently in the game then for v1.05 I would like to see the following sort of behaviour:

1. M249 gunner is hit.

2. After a brief period, another soldier runs to the dropped M249, does the "heal" animation for a couple of seconds over it, and then acquires the weapon and its ammo.

3. After another brief period, another soldier (not the one who acquired the weapon) goes to the fallen M249 gunner and gives him buddy aid.

In other words, the first priority of the squad is to keep its main support weapons firing at all times. The next priority is to give medical assistance to fallen comrades. To me, this would be the right procedure whilst actually in contact with the enemy.

[ October 22, 2007, 01:52 AM: Message edited by: Cpl Steiner ]

I had the same wish last night when playing a blue on blue scenario. I had a plt. HQ and 1st Platoon on the roof of a building. 1st Platoon had a Javelin CLU and 4 spare Javelin Missiles.

A M1A1 came along and spotted the Javelin firing and riddled the roof with coax and .50 cal fire, which killed the Javelin man.

He was the only person killed, but the Javelin was just sitting there on the roof with 2 more M1A1s observed at about 500 - 600 m, facing away from 1st Platoon.

I was thinking... dang, I wish those guys could pick up that Javelin, I could win the scenario if they could.

Originally posted by sgtgoody (esq):

That is why I think the aquire command should be like a fire command. You give it a target, either a vehicle or a soldier and the list pops up and you tell the squad what to aquire. The way it works right now is somewhat retarded.

And it should say

Javelin launcher with 3 missiles

Javelin launcher with 2 missiles

Javelin launcher with 1 missile

if your squad doesn't have a launcher and just the missiles if you do. Having to do it in 2 rounds isn't really necessary, ISTM.

"Javelin launcher with 3 missiles

Javelin launcher with 1 missile"

...seems to imply there's three javlin launchers in the vehicles when there's only one. Occassionally I have had the need to acquire a javelin launcher from one vehicle and missiles from another. I usually happens after one of your javelin team's suffered casualties and there's still spare missiles to be had.

Originally posted by MikeyD:

"Javelin launcher with 3 missiles

Javelin launcher with 1 missile"

...seems to imply there's three javlin launchers in the vehicles when there's only one. Occassionally I have had the need to acquire a javelin launcher from one vehicle and missiles from another. I usually happens after one of your javelin team's suffered casualties and there's still spare missiles to be had.

It wasn't a definitive list, just a short cut to picking up the launcher with missiles.

How about one squad with Javelins and no trained 'shooter' gives their spare missiles to another squad, huh? Now that would be a real team work in action... smile.gif

...and since we are dreaming up new features, how about supply air drops - in order to simulate long patrols, your units would start with less then optimal ammo count, but they can resupply if 'lucky'

just have a stryker in terrian that it can't leave from and have that as a dropzone and have it apper as a reinforcement

Originally posted by PeterFromLA:

How about one squad with Javelins and no trained 'shooter' gives their spare missiles to another squad, huh? Now that would be a real team work in action... smile.gif

...and since we are dreaming up new features, how about supply air drops - in order to simulate long patrols, your units would start with less then optimal ammo count, but they can resupply if 'lucky'