Unconventional Forces

Alan8325

A couple questions on uncon forces.

1) Will explosively formed projectiles (EFP's) be modeled in the game? I'm not sure if they are purely Iranian contraptions but I figure they would probably end up in Syrian hands eventually if they are proven effective against U.S. armor.

2) Will U.S. special forces such as Navy S.E.A.L's, Army Green Beret's and Delta Force make an appearance? They are often tasked with unconvetional assignments and may not face the strict collateral damage constraints that conventional forces face. Additionally, they are much less likely to be hit by IEDs set up along known routes. Operating covertly, I'm sure they would play a huge role in any future conflict with intense media attention.

EFPs are not explicitely simulated, no. We have made IEDs more generalized since there are so many sizes and types. It would drive us mad to try and simulate them all. From CM's perspective, they pretty much aren't all that different. EFPs are extremely dangerous when they work right, but they often don't do more damage (and sometimes less) than a conventional IED. There are also quite a number of effective counter measures for EFPs out in the field today.

There will be no Special Ops guys, except for perhaps some "Spies". Their role in a modern day setting is to disrupt behind the lines and to provide intel. The former isn't really what CM is about, but the latter is somewhat relevant directly in the game.

Steve

I would suggest you google "Explosively Formed Penetrator" which is what EFP stands for. And nasty little buggers they are too. It might be good to model them separately as they provide much different damage than your normal IED. Instead on blast and fragmentation, they use penetration and then of course fragmentation when they punch through the armor.

No need to google EFPs... been following their development since before they started showing up in Iraq :D They are different, of course, but effectively they aren't all that different from CM's perspective. An EFP through the engine block of an armored Humvee is no different than a blown off tire. The vehicle is immobilized either way. An EFP that rips through the driver compartment is no different than having a track blown off. So on and so forth.

As I said, there are many different types and sizes of IEDs, not to mention ways of employing them. We simply can't simulate all of them so we've decided to go a more genarlized route. Since CM:SF is focused on conventional combat with an unconventional element, this generalization is inline with the overall goals of the sim itself. If we were making an anti-insurgency sim or peace and stability ops, that would mean a different focus with IEDs being much more important.

Steve