Scenario Design: The "Scale" Effect and Other "Workarounds"...

This is mainly for scenario designers. I have been working on an OIF-based scenario of a fight at Talil airbase near An Nasiriya. The airfield is basically at a 45-degree angle based on a N-S map orientation.

First, it is impossible to recreate ANY airfield of note, simple because the runways are normally close to 1.5 miles long, so the entire thing must be scaled-down tremendously.

Second, creating the airfield at such an orientation poses problems with roads and runways and how the tiles available are arranged.

I have a question - what is the best way to get around this issue for realism's sake? I would like to be able to have things "look" decent enough and maintain the orientation to match the supporting maps. Are there any tricks that can be used to make roads and runways at least give the appearance of continuity, even though the tiles aren't correctly matched-up. I have decided to deal with a section of the airfield with pertinent objectives/buildings/etc., to keep from compromising scale, unless you think that it isn't such a big deal and I should just build a scaled-down version of the airfield...

Anyway, any hints/tips would be appreciated!

Why don't you just align the runway N-S or W-E?

It should be easy to rotate any reference material you have into that orientation, and the price of it not being perfectly oriented according to the compass is a small one to pay!

Best regards,

Thomm

PS: Sorry for not answering your question!

PPS: I ran into a map like this in Tokyo, where I explained the benefits of navigating with the help of the sun in a city without road names in great detail to my wife only to find out (after walking for 10 minutes) that the city map was NOT N-S aligned properly! After that, next lesson was navigating with landmarks ;) So, if map makers can print a map like this, so can you!

Originally posted by MikeyD:

My thought is individual units don't usually attack a 'whole' runway at once but focuses on the inhabited bits - the terminal, hangars, defensive intallations, etc. So in that respect its rather like attacking a large village along a long stretch of highway.

Well, yes and no...the objective at Talil was to clear and secure any weapons caches strewn about the airfield, the buildings, and then there were also mines all over the place (but can't be modeled).

Anyway, I suppose I may just align the AF N-S and go from there...

Well, 4km is 2.4 miles so that is more than long enough for a 1.5 mile long airstrip. So i'm not sure why you are having to scale anything down.

I do wish the map size was limited by total square-km, not an arbitrary 4x4km square. In other words, why can't I have 16 square km in any shape I want, such as a 2km x 8km strip. Or a 1x16 strip for that matter. 4km on one axis is not adequate.

Renaud that way you will model almost only the airstrip thoug...

Consider also that a so big scenario might have big working problems...

I agree with those who suggest to represent just a section of the airstrip and try to concentrate on other interesting features (I'm doing an airport map and will show some nice things soon).