Are scenarios important?

Gents,

I ask if scenarios are important in a fit of rhetorical self-indulgence.

Of course they're important.

In fact, it has been argued that the quality of the scenarios determines the quality of how CMSF plays. I agree with this sentiment.

Scenarios are the heart of this game system.

Scenarios will be the heart of any future CMx2 game system.

Given the importance of scenarios, how is it that I cannot sort, rank, or organize the scenarios in the game other than by using the first letter of their title?

BF.C, we need a user-friendly method of sorting scenarios.

I have some ideas on this matter...

smile.gif

Seriously, what are the plans, if any, to implement this?

Regards,

Ken

Huh! Its odd that though scenario sorting would've been a great idea all the way back in CMBO days this is the first time I've seen it suggested. My considerably more simple-minded take on your suggestion would be a row of buttons along the top of the scenarios screen saying [MEETING ENGAGEMENTS] [ASSAULTS] [PROBES] [ALL]. Click 'Assaults' and you see all the Assault scenarios. Too bad nobody thought of this a year ago! ;)

A simple workaround could be to use index letters at the beginning of a scenario name, based on the above classification for example M for Meeting Engagements, A for Assaults, P for probes, etc.

If I have an assault-type scenario named "Storming Granny's Hencoop" this would look like this: "(A) Storming Granny's Hencoop"

There have been a couple of things discussed recently which could benefit if there was a general consensus about how to classify a scenario - adding the map size, for example, or a general guidline what number of units makes up a certain battle size (the number of soldiers displayed).

Perhaps we should take this to the scenario design forum for a discussion about some "code of conduct" for scenario designers.

Well, short of achieving a sortable database system for scenarios in-game, it might be worth making some of these suggestions to Todd at CMMods so that we could at least filter them effectively before downloading them from his invaluable site. The search criteria over there at the moment are adequate but a little basic.

Hmm, "a sortable database system" he says? Well, here are some thoughts:

Right now one of the strengths of the game engine is the ability to create scenarios and campaigns. Going to CMMODs (THANKS!) shows how many there are right now. That pool will only increase in size.

THE ONLY CURRENT WAY TO SORT SCENARIOS IS ALPABETICALLY!!!

C'mon.

Here are some suggested sorting criteria (adjustable/selectable by the user):

Date

Size, map

Size, forces

Force type

Opposing Nationality

Objectives

Length

Region

Have I played it yet?

Did I win?

Did I lose?

Best score/record?

Review score by others (is it a popular scenario or is it a dog?)

Time of Day

Environment

Weather Conditions

Terrain Types

Reinforcements

Support: Artillery, Air

Etc.

Regards,

Ken