Aircraft against Tanks

So how effective are aircraft in cmsf going to be in knocking out tanks?

In the ww2 games, aircraft were useless in dstroying tanks unless they were open topped. Aircraft such as the sturmovik were unable to knock out tiger and panther tanks with gun fire, even with a direct hit on the top armour. The statistics say, this is possible and it was in the war, but not in cm games.

The sturmovik was nicknamed the black death in the war, In cm it's nickname is the black pansy.

I suspect in CMSF LOS is going to be VERY important in aircraft's ability to KO enemy tanks. We may find it more difficult than expected to utilize Maverick and its ilk if CMSF maps resemble CMx1 maps in any way. Especially if we're expected to pre-position a laser spotter to designate targets for the pilots. I'd bet that much of the time either the tank's going to be out of LOS, or when in LOS the aircraft's going to be out of position to fire. Of course if we're given a B52 circling overhead with a dozen 2000 lb smart bombs loaded (as used in Afghanistan 2002) then pinpoint accuracy may not be necessary. - ew, if dust blocks LOS currently in CMAK imagine how much of the battlefield is going to be obscured when a MOAB goes off?! :eek:

Hmm,

The guidance package is critical. If a ground team calls for support due to, say, tanks behind a building, here's what could happen: the ground team pulls back, radios the map grid and target type back up the chain. Aerial assets are assigned. Call it some Apache D's, Longbow equipped. They get targeting on T-72's, ID'd by their radar. No LOS from the ground team. No LOS by the Apaches due to dust or fog or somesuch. Some hellfires come off the rails, and a bunch of T-72 scrap metal comes raining down. No LOS, but the targets are destroyed. Will that be modelled?

Or, using your B-52 example: what if they have sensor fuzed weapons? Again, no need for LOS.

GPS guidance? Buddy lasing by one aircraft for another?

There a many cases in which the ground units do not need LOS to a target in order to cause its destruction. As well, the aircraft, in certain cases, do not need the ability to have a LOS to the target, or the visibility to see the target.

Regards,

Ken

Originally posted by ParaBellum:

Why do you post your questions on multiple forums? You have posted the exact same thread in the CMBB forum and got answers there.

One qustion was about ww2 and the other about cmsf. I only used the sturmovic question as aa contrast between ww2 and modern warfare.

By the way I must be unlucky because the sturmovic's for me are ****, they allways miss the target. But not for the computer they are always good for the computer.