Problems with directX 9.0???

Shatter

I just installed directx 9.0 last night and it fu&^%*& sucks. CMBB last the longest before crash or freeze up but still does crash or freeze after 30 to 60 mins. IL-2 crashes or freezes in about 10 mins. Also tried MOHAA, BF1942, and a couple other and all froze within 20 mins or so. The freeze occurs when there is a drop of in frame rate evertime.

Also I reloaded DX 8.1,& dxdiag says I still have DX9.0. Another game I have has a system analyze option to meet min specs and says DX8.1 is on the PC.

So which one is it???

Specs

Pent 4 1.8ghz

Win ME

512 DRD RAM

G4 Ti4200 128MB Drivers 4.13

Also would trying a different set of drivers for Vid card help out???

I would really apreciate it if someone could help me, basically this damn PC is useless now for gaming.

You probably still have DirectX 9.0 installed. To my knowledge (I haven't tried lately) the only way to go back to an earlier version is to wipe out your Windows installation and start over. There's no uninstalling of DirectX.

Any particular reason why you installed DirectX 9.0 ? It doesn't generally help any of the current games available to my knowledge (since none of them support any DirectX 9.0-unique features). I haven't checked lately to see what the latest video drivers require - so that would be the only reason to upgrade in my mind.

Did you have problems before installing DirectX 9.0 (such as the bad performance you were seeing) ?

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

You probably still have DirectX 9.0 installed. To my knowledge (I haven't tried lately) the only way to go back to an earlier version is to wipe out your Windows installation and start over. There's no uninstalling of DirectX.

Any particular reason why you installed DirectX 9.0 ? It doesn't generally help any of the current games available to my knowledge (since none of them support any DirectX 9.0-unique features). I haven't checked lately to see what the latest video drivers require - so that would be the only reason to upgrade in my mind.

Did you have problems before installing DirectX 9.0 (such as the bad performance you were seeing) ?

I have started playing BF1942, that a friend talk me into buying to play online with him. BF1942 performance was really slow. I was on there forum and several people mentioned that DX9.0 really helped there performance with BF1942, now everthing I have is screwed.

No I had no problems with any other game besides bad performance with BF1942.

Originally posted by JC_Hare:

Direct x 9.0 cannot be easily removed. Before doing anything drastic, you might try reinstalling Direct x 9 to se if that solves your problem.

I have been running DX 9 for a few months with no issue and a slight speed increase in CMBB and IL-2 Sturmovik.

Ya I must agree I have seen a slight increase in frame rate. I just get a crash with everything I have played so far. Ya I am gonna try a reinstall before windows reinstall.

Originally posted by Schrullenhaft:

Before wiping out Windows, do some research on the web about uninstalling DirectX. There used to be a website by a guy who explained how to do it. As I recall, it involved editing the registry -- so it's probably not for the fainthearted. Also, I don't know whether his method still works for the latest version of DirectX or Windows. It's been a couple of years since I corresponded with him.

CBB

Yes, earlier versions of DirectX (like version 5, 6 or possibly 7) could be uninstalled with painstaking hand editing and file deletion. Like I said I haven't checked the methods for this in quite awhile and the newer stuff seems to be all that more complex.

In the end the effort often isn't worth it since some sort of problem seems to creep into these 'manual' processes. Unless you have something on that system that is too much of a hassle to reinstall/reconfigure it is sometimes best to 'start over'. Of course you'll want to backup your pertinent files, etc. first.

Unfortunately the only utility I could find to remove DirectX seems to only cover up to version 8.1. However it may be worth trying... DirectX Eradicator. I suggest following some of the above advice first however... Uninstall your current video driver. On reboot don't reinstall it, but instead install either whatever XP offers (for up to GeForce2's XP will offer the 12.40 Detonator) or the 'Standard PCI SVGA'. After rebooting for this then install DirectX 9.0 again (make sure to turn off all other programs and utilities first before installing software). After the reboot for this then install the video driver you want. I believe the latest NVidia and ATI drivers support DirectX 9, but I don't know if they require it. Remember the FSAA problems with the latest 4x.xx series of Detonators though.

[ February 26, 2003, 07:19 PM: Message edited by: Schrullenhaft ]

I installed DX9 a while back when my sounds disappeared. I took it because I found it before DX8...

Well, the sounds came back but Medieval started crashing. :mad:

Found the DX8.1 install from some game package (probably medieval)

and it installed without hassle. No more in game crashing...

From the posts here, it seems the DX8 reinstall probably didn't

remove the DX9 install and I now have some weird shagaboo DX?

install. But hey, it works...

[ February 27, 2003, 02:51 AM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

Ya I did reinstall DX 8.1 from some other software I have and crashes have disappeared, even though a dxdiag still says 9.0. Yet all games I have that analyze the pc for requiremnets show DX8.1, weird. :confused:

Only thing is another problem I noticed with DX9.0 is my PC will not shut down, and since reinstalling DX8.1 PC will still not shut down, at least the crashes are gone.

Anybody know exactly why it is not possible to uinstall DX, just doesn't make much sense to me.

[ February 27, 2003, 10:41 AM: Message edited by: Shatter ]

Originally posted by Shatter:

I have started playing BF1942, that a friend talk me into buying to play online with him. BF1942 performance was really slow. I was on there forum and several people mentioned that DX9.0 really helped there performance with BF1942, now everthing I have is screwed.

No I had no problems with any other game besides bad performance with BF1942.

What sound card are you using and do you have the latest manufacturer's drivers installed? If the answer is "SoundBlaster Live!" and "yes", then that may have been your original problem with the poor BF1942 performance. I was having crappy performance with BF42 and was going crazy trying to rectify the problem by updating drivers, chipset drivers, swapping out video cards etc. Turns out the latest Creative Labs drivers for the soundblaster suck.

I installed the drivers from http://www.kxproject.com and all of the performance issues went away.

- OGSF