Wiki anyone?

poesel

There are lots of information hidden in the posts on this forum. Information that really helps to understand and enjoy the game. But its hard to find because its buried down in some thread and probably already months old.

IMHO a wiki would be a good solution because I doubt one person would like to keep a website up to date alone.

Dou you think thats a good idea?

I can provide one if battlefront doesn't want to have that traffic on their site. Clay?

I think a Wiki would be tremendously useful. There have been a bunch of insightful things posted here. The wiki would put it all in one place and the information about things that have changed in the various patches could be updated.

That would be really nice. Until I spent some time reading the manual, I've been lost in multiplayer (and that's the DEMO! tongue.gif ) I think a wiki with info about the game, about how damage works, targeting artillery, and descriptions of the various shots and units would be very helpful, as many people don't read the manual and just jump right in.

There could hardly be anything more useful at this point, especially for new players but with plenty of valuable nuggets even for the veterans.

I don't think there's any problem with bandwidth but there's definitely a problem with available man-hours. If you would be so kind as to put it together, Poesel, that would be wonderful. Once you get it going we'll definitely take the time to add content to it as needed (or requested), though.

'root' was in the Netherlands this week so there is some delay because I can't install it myself. So ETA for the wiki is this weekend.

The wikipedia is most probably NOT the place to put tactical tips for DT on for instance. I think the wikipedia wouldn't like that.

There are other free wikis out there which could be used but they are all limited in some way or the other.

Just a little patience. smile.gif

Ok, the wiki is up and running here:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/moin.cgi/DropTeam

DT content is currently nil I'm afraid. But thats not bad because YOU can change that. Being a wiki everyone can change pages.

Theres a link to help pages which will explain everything. Its not complicated but you should at least read the basics.

Just one thing here:

How to create new pages (easy method):

edit the front page or any other page and put a word in Camel Case there (thats a word without spaces and at least two capitals like:'DropTeam', 'IonTactics', RaidScenario',...). After saving that word will link to a new empty page which you can then edit as you like.

Happy writing

Edit: please create a user (upper right side)! That lets you configure the layout (I prefer 'classic') and if you are logged in you can see who edited what.

Edit2: simply:

http://dropteam.johalla.de/

works too smile.gif

[ August 13, 2006, 01:42 PM: Message edited by: poesel71 ]

Oooooh, nicely done, Poesel. And a nice start with some structure there, too, Alex!

When 1.1.3 is out of the way, we will start unloading info into it with both barrels. smile.gif In the meantime, scouring back through the history of this forum and doing a liberal amount of copy & paste would go a long way if anyone cares to start. (Be sure to give credit for people's posts, though).

Here's one I'd love to see: revisions to the dropteam game since Alpha, more for a historical (hysterical perspective).

Also, how about a "background" section that details the "universe". This can include details of the protaganists (and at least link back to the battlefront pages).

ModDesign can probably be used to provide more detail of what the various XML commands do, and examples of how to use them.

Originally posted by Alexander SquidLord Williams:

Mace, I've roughed in structural pages you can start feeding ideas onto, if you'd like.

Neat. Now we should start nagging Clay for a list of the changes made since Alpha, and his initial inspiration (which I'm 100% certain he typed somewhere once).....nag nag nag nag nag. ;)