Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Forget G4s! We need a G5 OS 9.2.2 hack!

As some of you know, for over a month now, I've helped campaign for an OS 9.2.2 hack for OS X only Macs. A little progress has been made (Apple insider hack for 15" new iMac), but imagine what fun we in the Mac community could have playing CMBB, CMAK, etc., on the new G5s. Throughput like nobody's business, huge RAM, and more, yet at the G4 price points. Details here:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Leo Laporte hasn't yet replied to my two E-mails, so my next move is to contact Dark Sider Kevin Rose at Tech TV. He is the self-proclaimed lover of anything from Apple and is also a gamer. Maybe he can help get the Mac community on the powerful G4 towers, Powerbooks and G5s where it rightfully belongs. Wish me luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

gibsonm,

Amen to that! Will CMAK incorporate Open GL? Sure hope so!

Ben Galanti,

Are you sure you're not just seeing a demo copy of the ridiculously overpriced dual 1.25 GHz G4 tower

that has dual OS but is only available via custom order direct from Apple? If not, please specify models seen and particulars. Am so curious, though, that I'm having a friend ping a friend of his who works at an Apple store. I look forward to hearing more from you on this.

Regards,

John Kettler

Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Interestingly, the G4 towers currently at the Apple store all can boot into OS 9. From the picture, they look just like the Mirrored-Drive Door models that couldn't boot into 9 just a few days ago...

Ben

They are last years model anyway. We have one mirrored, OS9 booting mac.

The previous (non-OS9) models had FW800, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, these dont.

But these have 2MB cache/processor on dual systems, the previous 1,25 duals had 1MB.

---

edit. To clarify a little, these are the "OS9 compatibility models" that used to be overpriced until the G5 announcement. Now the prices have collapsed.

[ June 26, 2003, 07:18 AM: Message edited by: Jarmo ]

Originally posted by Jarmo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Ben Galanti:

Interestingly, the G4 towers currently at the Apple store all can boot into OS 9. From the picture, they look just like the Mirrored-Drive Door models that couldn't boot into 9 just a few days ago...

Ben

They are last years model anyway. We have one mirrored, OS9 booting mac.

The previous (non-OS9) models had FW800, Bluetooth, Airport Extreme, these dont.

But these have 2MB cache/processor on dual systems, the previous 1,25 duals had 1MB.

---

edit. To clarify a little, these are the "OS9 compatibility models" that used to be overpriced until the G5 announcement. Now the prices have collapsed. </font>

Jarmo,

Thanks!

The good news here is that a dual OS tower platform remains and has dropped in price; the bad news is that it is semigutted (no FireWire 800, AirPort Extreme, etc.) compared to the other towers and has the dread 9000 series ATI Radeon card, forcing the buyer into custom order mode to permit CMBB/CMAK compatability. Typical Apple behavior--gives with one hand while cudgeling with the other!

Regards,

John Kettler

[ June 30, 2003, 08:45 PM: Message edited by: John Kettler ]

9000 card was the standard in previous systems too, and there's not much one can do with FW800. And if it's needed, there'll be cards for it.

But a dual 1,25 with GF4Ti would be certain to run CM2 when it comes.

I'm tempted myself, (I could slap in my current Radeon) but the prices are not so sweet here in europe. And I can probably get an older G4 from work when we go for the G5's.

Question,

I'm a fan of macs, and Combat Mission, but... I don't under stand completely which macs just don't get along with CMBO, or CMBB.

Are there any new Macs out there that would handle CM in it's current form? Panther maybe?

I know this sounds funny, but my decision on which computer to buy could be heavily swayed by the compatibility of the computer and CM.

-A. M. Taylor

As long as it's bootable in OS9 your fine but...The optimum graphics card seems to be the 32mb ATI Radeon (does fog and smoke fine unlike ATI for PC). 64 and 128 ATI cards are not necessarily an improvement as the features fall apart.

I currently run a dual G4-450 9.2.2 with an aftermarket 32mb AGP Retail Radeon. If I got a faster processor mac I would want to install this card and store whatever came with it.

I don't think you can buy the 32 card new anymore but Andreas (German fan boy) bought a new 2nd hand one.

Originally posted by A. M. Taylor:

Question,

I'm a fan of macs, and Combat Mission, but... I don't under stand completely which macs just don't get along with CMBO, or CMBB.

Are there any new Macs out there that would handle CM in it's current form? Panther maybe?

I know this sounds funny, but my decision on which computer to buy could be heavily swayed by the compatibility of the computer and CM.

-A. M. Taylor

[ July 01, 2003, 05:34 PM: Message edited by: Wicky ]

Originally posted by John Kettler:

As some of you know, for over a month now, I've helped campaign for an OS 9.2.2 hack for OS X only Macs. A little progress has been made (Apple insider hack for 15" new iMac), but imagine what fun we in the Mac community could have playing CMBB, CMAK, etc., on the new G5s. Throughput like nobody's business, huge RAM, and more, yet at the G4 price points. Details here:

http://www.apple.com/powermac/

Leo Laporte hasn't yet replied to my two E-mails, so my next move is to contact Dark Sider Kevin Rose at Tech TV. He is the self-proclaimed lover of anything from Apple and is also a gamer. Maybe he can help get the Mac community on the powerful G4 towers, Powerbooks and G5s where it rightfully belongs. Wish me luck!

Regards,

John Kettler

The IBM 970 CPU has a 64 bit capability and I think they are makeing a "special " OSX 10.2.7 OS JUST for that chip as an bridge between OSX 10.2.6 and Panther which is OS X 10.3. Panther is intended (as I understand it) to be optimized for the IBM 970 chip with the 64 bit architecture.

It would be my opinion that there will be NO WAY Mac OS 9.2.2 will EVER run on a IBM 970 in a G5.

(But thats just my guess)

I would think BFC would want to be getting a DEVELOPER RELEASE of the Panther Beta (avaialable at the WWDC just recently in SF HINT HINT smile.gif ) so that work on CMX2 can proceed on the Mac side for the OS of the Future.

The Beta Demo of Panther is available now to Mac developers. (S Jobs, in the keynote, mentioned there are now over 300,000 licensed Mac developers, thats sounds like a heck of a lot of OS X developement to me

:eek: !)

-tom w

Originally posted by Wicky:

I currently run a dual G4-450 9.2.2 with an aftermarket 32mb AGP Retail Radeon. If I got a faster processor mac I would want to install this card and store whatever came with it.

I don't think you can buy the 32 card new anymore but Andreas (German fan boy) bought a new 2nd hand one.

Same here - the AGP 32MB card is sweet, and by sweet I mean totally awesome. When I first had a close look at the game after installation, I wanted to kick someone in the head, that's how great it is.

If I were to buy one of these new machines, I would still install this card. I currently run a G4/400 AGP.

The only current macs I'm pretty sure of, are the mentioned G4's. And those only because the graphics card can be switched if the one they ship with doesnt work. Radeon9000 (the standard card) is probably the least CM compatible card out there.

The future G5's are in the "when hell freezes over" category.

I'm not sure of the (lamp shape) iMacs, can they still boot into OS9?

And there was somebody with an iMac and graphics problems in CMBO.

The older "vacuum cleaner" iMacs should be fine, if one can still be found. But

eMacs, dont know. Can they still boot into 9? The GF2MX cards in them are not too CM friendly (blurring), but run anyway.

iBooks, maybe. Booted in OS9 not too long ago, not sure now. Contains Radeon mobility something, should be fine. These might be the nicest choice for CM.

PowerBooks, the new models are no go. Older (800 Mhz) 15" models have been reported working.

---

edit. heh, wrote this yesterday and wondered why the post didnt show. Forgetting to push "add reply", just leaving the page floating in dock is something I'm getting good at...

Originally posted by Jarmo:

The 800 mHz dual boot Tibook (now only available used) is currently the BEST Mac Powerbook available for CMBB/CMBO

the dual boot 867 mHz and above TiBooks do not work. (graphics problem is currently UNRESOLVABLE by any means)

Basically ANY TiBook with a chip speed over 800 mHz WON'T run CMBB or CMBO.

There are Dual boot Lamp Shade iMacs that work. Both the first generation 15" and 17" iMacs will run CMBB/CMBO but they can only be purchased used now.

hope that helps

see and read all the posts in this thread for more details:

http://www.battlefront.com/cgi-bin/bbs/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=8;t=003244

That thread discusses Macs that work and those that don't.

smile.gif

-tom w

[ July 03, 2003, 02:11 PM: Message edited by: aka_tom_w ]