Wanna buy a real T-72? Here you go...

Gian

T-72s arent really a big deal. I live in Hungary and believe me we got a lot of T-72 and T-55 tanks. Our army is currently being "reorganised", and therefore a lot of unused army equipment is offered for sale to the public.

A T-72 costs only about 4700 USD!!!!! tongue.gif

Yeah, freight for one of these suckers is QUITE expensive. From a European port to an East Coast US port I think the price could be aound $10k. The problem is that it is so heavy and of a non conforming size. If it was lighter and could fit inside a standard shipping container the price would be a lot lower. Then of course there are all the fees involved, including brokers and customs. Customs can also hold it for any number of reasons, including dirt and leaking fluids. And of course they charge you for every day it sits in their impound warehouse.

Er... not that I've actually looked into importing anything like this before. I swear! I also swear I don't know the contact information at BATF to figure out exactly how to demil the barrel and breach block. Nor do I have a copy of a Form 6 on my harddrive. Anybody that says otherwise is lying!!

Steve

I would really like to see the looks ont their faces if they found themselves face-to-face with one of these beauties!!
Just before you hear the bullhorn voices "Come out with your hands up!! We have you surrounded!!" :D

The problems of owning heavy vehicles are vast. The problems of owning heavy tracked vehicles are on top of that. Having heavy, tracked vehicles whose parts are made across the ocean and in countries without established civilian sales proceedures... well, it does mean ownership "interesting" ;) Oh, and expensive.

Another problem with the ex-Soviet designs is that they have all steel tracks. They did make some rubber padded tracks for travel around in Germany (in particualar I think), but they are few and far inbetween. This means you have to own quite a bit of land to so much as drive the thing, not to mention store it.

Obvioulsy all these things are behind the low starting price for heavy armored vehicles, especially compared to unarmored wheeled vehicles. A good condition WWII German VW staff car costs probably 2x as much as a BMP-1, a Schwimwagen probably 3x. For the starting price Daskal quoted you'd be hard pressed to find a semi decenent running WWII US Jeep. A military Humvee would cost you 10 times as much. So on and so forth ;)

Steve

I think there are about 150 pieces of T-72s for sale in Hungary. If they cant sell these tanks within a few years, then the army will destroy them :( they did the same thing with the T-55s before. So if you wanna buy some russian-metal-beast, now is the time!