Geographical Questions

T-Debo

The simulation is set in the former Yugoslavia. I wanted to know some things:

1. Will the terrain represent the elevations and geographical features more or less accurately, like village names roads Etc.?

2. Will the warring factions advance in a manner corresponding to the historical data?

3. Are there campaign modes and general war objectives that are depending on the performance of the units?

4. Are there weather variations depending on season and elevation?

5. In the Blakan wars, soldiers sometimes wear civilan clothes...will this be implemented (even if this is not so important).

T72 is a tank combat simulation and not a historical strategic wargame, hence the answer to most of your questions is no. The game is largely fictional in its background. Its goal is to provide a realistic feel of how tank combat works - and it does that very well even if not 100% realistically - and it does not even attempt to recreate historical events.

1. The lush terrain maps have the general feel and look of the Balkans region (which itself looks like large parts of Europe), but other than that are completely fictional.

2. There are no warring factions nor is there any kind of "overview strategic map" to have them advance anywhere. The linked campaign follows you as the tank commander (later including some attached units) through a number of loosely linked (and fictional) tactical engagements.

3. Your units (and enemies) improve in quality/ability as you progress through the campaign, but other than that the campaign is linear and there are no "war" objectives, either (just individual mission objectives, like "take this village" or "protect this bridge").

4. Each battle takes place in real-time (since it's a simulation), so there is not enough time for seasons to pass. Weather settings are determined by the scenario author, but there is no distinctive change of seasons throughout the campaign.

5. There are civilians in the game, and in the editor you could make them wear arms I guess (I never tried though).

Martin

Personally, I would have preferred that the game does not go down the "Balkan" route especially since there seems to be no direct connection to historical events there.

But maybe I am biased against the setting only because as an Austrian, that conflict was a tad bit too close for my taste!

Best regards,

Thomm

Thanks for the reply to my questions Martin,

I am still getting this game, because my main aim is to be able to blow up things using my tank - that is what I like, clear down to earth objectives like take the village, stop the convoy, etc...

I guess the only problem now, is that we have to wait...

T-Debo, not for long smile.gif And if that's what you want from the game, then you'll get precisely what you want (and some more).

Rollstoy, actually, I personally agree with you. If it had been up to me to decide the backdrop, rest assured that it would have been different (even if the game didn't change). But the devs have chosen what they felt as the best setting, and we're not going to change that. If the game does well and finds enough players who can enjoy the sim for what it is, we might however influence just a tad what the next future setting will be... ;)

Martin

But maybe I am biased against the setting only because as an Austrian, that conflict was a tad bit too close for my taste!
hmm...iam 22 now, and have to say that i was to young, back in these times.

i noticed that there was war a few hundred km´s away from me...

but anyways, me stupid wasnt careing that much about that fact...

Well, my idea of a good tank sim would be something like an Abrams tank sim set up in the 1991 'Kuwait Liberation' war - against Saddam's forces.
nothing against you!!!

but iam tired of abrams sims, and please leaf saddam alone!!!

it repitative-> m1a1/m1a2 -> kill saddam...

meybe take an abrams and go for osama hunt..!? :rolleyes:

iam verry glad that the devs have picked up a non popular tank(s) and an non popular enemy!

you could call the scenario something like "fresh" and iam happy about it ;)

[ June 07, 2005, 10:11 AM: Message edited by: Pandur ]

Originally posted by Moon:

Rollstoy, actually, I personally agree with you. If it had been up to me to decide the backdrop, rest assured that it would have been different (even if the game didn't change). But the devs have chosen what they felt as the best setting, and we're not going to change that. If the game does well and finds enough players who can enjoy the sim for what it is, we might however influence just a tad what the next future setting will be... ;)

Thanks for the comforting clarification!!

Best regards,

Thomm