the waiting game

The only draw back to SC is waiting for the other player to make his move!

If there was only some thing the non moving player could do while waiting, like looking at a tactical map and devising strategy. I am not interested in playing a game that takes two or three days to finish! When I walk away from the game it is over.

(mainly being that I forget my strategy for that game, by the time I get back to it)

at times I might have three or four games going.

timers would be good, but to end a players turn if he runs out of time seems too harsh. maybe a little advantage should be givin to the other player (like gain one level of experience) for every x amount of time that they run over.

maybe doing political endevors while the other player is making his move, so if he likes long turns it will be worse for him.

I am not sure what you can do about this, but I do no that something should be done, becouse it is defenatly a killer of games. to my understanding SC2 will be a muti player game it will be all the worse! maybe after so long of a turn the computer takes over :eek:

Good day!

Simple.

Start game.

Start hotseat mode.

Play both sides yourself with FOW on.

No undo move of course.

Makes the game really enjoyable, and you can play as fast as you can think.

Basically what many wargamers have done with board games for decades, but with the convenience of it being on a computer (and not on a table eating up space).

Why not read a book or magazine, put some music on, relax, ring up a friend, talk to your girlfriend or wife, get yourself a drink, etc etc.

Or do like I do and play PBEM so that you don't have to wait while the other player does their move.

Just how long are people taking to make their moves? Mine take between 1 and 5 minutes, depending on what stage of the war we're at. Are players taking a lot longer than that?

I am a gamer! I dont want to miss anything. when I play a game, I like to play!!!

when it comes to strategy I must focus on the game, can not get cought up doing other things.

If I did It would take me an hour to make my move.

I never really liked pbem.

I am sure something can be done to make the waiting entertaining for the players.

doing other things might be good if there was a bell to let you know when your turn is up, and a re-play.

who knows? all's I know is there are some good muti-player games out there that are loads of fun, but waiting for 5 players to make there moves burns out the game. It would not have to be 5 players, one player can kill it for many good players.

this is a problem that only the Grognards would understand!

maybe a guy could lay mines or espionage, ammunitions factory. a simple game working with these while waiting for others to make there move. it would be minuet. But it would keep opponent on there toes and making sure they move as fast as the others. and it might be just enough of a advantage in a long game to take the win.

You would be the man if you made all moves (or some) simultaneous!

Who knows, "what it is"!

...talk to your girlfriend or wife
But,

Surely Bill101,

Not at one and the same time!

In merry olde England they do that? :eek:

I once knew this risk-seeking guy, he

Was flying all 'is box-kites high, thought

EVERYTHING would, and indeed - should,

By some sort of freakly Self-conceived

"Law of nature"... fall his way.

Used to hold these 2 separate cell-phones

Up to each ear.

Swing one up - talk sweet,

Tho' naturally, kinda low & slow, and

That one down, pressed against the neck,

Then the other swung up - some more murmurs.

Back and forth it would go, every

20 or 30 seconds or so, and

Some mad - rat-a-tat times, even

Faster that that!

Him?

Of late?

Ol'... cool, Double Daring Dude?

Well,

He eventually ended up living it on out

In a tar-paper shack oh, you know,

The wife got it all, yep,

They usually do; so,

He sits on an apple-crate and tries to read

Old, wind-blown newspaper pieces,

Then, wisely - see, he's learned,

He folds 'em up neat and

Puts 'em in all those great & small

Holes... in the soles of 'is shoes.

You bet, true story - out at very edge

Of Desert City, where the milk-trains

Will constantly rain hot black soots

On 'is roof.

Card-board, it's constructed of,

That roof, so every

Now and then... it'll catch - right on fire!

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL.

Tough gig.

LOL.

Some say - he - got what he deserved.

I would advise - don't do it.

Nope, just... don't... do it. ;)

Best, just play SC1 or 2. :cool:

Worse that could happen?

Some dawdling, prowl-around Cat

Will take... a couple minutes longer

On his turn?

Big deal.

At the least... you'll be able to keep

Yer raked-down, candy-flake painted and

Nitro-screeching... hot-rod computer. smile.gif

[ December 19, 2004, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: Desert Dave ]

smile.gif Waltero, I think they have several medicinal options out there for attention challenged persons smile.gif

Like the guys have said, surely there has to be something gripping you could do whilst awaiting your turn.

One nice thing about SC is it is such a nice game from a system requirements point of view. Maybe you could invest a few bucks on a used system, and play more than one game of SC at the same time heheh.

Do you have this problem in other games/activities?

I got it! When a player is taking an ungodly amout of time to make his move, there opponent will be able to change the name of one of there Generals, or being able to change the color of there tanks. Who would ally with a country that has pink tanks? this would give the faster moving player some satisfaction!

Maybe it will not be so bad? I am kinda curious ,on a six player game will the Axis move at the same time? as well as all the allies?