Cheap Tanks and Infantry

Nevermind--I found the answer:

Note that when a unit is destroyed it is removed

from the build list unless it is a Land or Air unit type with current supply greater

than or equal to 5. In this case, it may be repurchased at 60% base cost with 1/

2 the production delay, and the unit name is denoted with an ‚*‘.

• 2 years later...

1) When you click on a unit you see its listed supply, that supply has to be 5 or greater for you to be able to rebuild it.

2) I guess they say it in a bit of a strange way in the answer posted above. What happens is just that if a unit with 5 or greater supply is destroyed, the unit shows up at your build list again with a * near its name. There you can rebuild the unit for 60% of the cost and lower production time. If the unit gets destroyed with lower then 5 supply it won't show up in the last again.

...if a unit with 5 or greater supply is destroyed, the unit shows up at your build list again with a * near its name...

Really? Never saw that in game. I guess every unit in any of my cities has a current supply greater 5 before destroyed.

Does that really work?

• 2 weeks later...

@ Amadeus (02-14-2010, 07:18 AM)

Yes, it really works!

During very hard fights at the eastern front I often had this situation bringing back units for about nearly half the price. Doesn't matter if I played Germans or Soviets, it really works.

I name my units individually so I have better control and it takes less a second to find these names in the purchase table again (marked with a *) after they've been destroyed.

But nevertheless I don't understand this feature at all. :confused: How can destroyed units rebuild so cheap in such a short period of time?! When I think of the tank battle of Kursk (Panzerschlacht von Kursk) for example this makes no sense at all. History would have to be written new if the Wehrmacht could have compensated the huge losses so fast and cheap. As known by history they could not.

---

sorry my English, I'm German

It represents the return to combat duty of the wounded, the repair of vehicles and using the cadres in the rear to train up replacements. You still have to wait a while for the unit to return, and it lacks any experience and enhancements that the destroyed unit had had.

Obviously, if you aren't winning the war then your income will suffer and you will be able to rebuild less and less units, and this is what tends to happen to Germany if things aren't going too well.